Making Bets

Blake's POV
"Yo, Blake!" I hear one of my teammates call my name as we skate off the ice. Turning my head to look at him, he's only a few feet behind me.

"What's up?" I ask, continuing towards the locker room.

"Are you going to Dylan's party tonight?" His voice is hushed, trying to keep Coach from overhearing. He'd kill us if he ever found out about us going to parties - though he probably already knows.

"Nah, I wasn't planning on it."

"C'mon, it'll be fun."

I sigh as we enter the locker room, "who's all going?"

"I think it's just me, Connor, Archer and Henry."

"Maybe."

"Good enough, remember, Dylan's house."

"Yeah, yeah." I wave him off before changing back into my regular clothes. I check my phone, seeing a couple missed calls from my Dad. I can just call him back later. Throwing my things into my bag, I zip it up before walking to the parking lot. I hop into my truck and start the drive home.

It takes about thirty minutes for me to drive home, there being no ice rink or hockey team in the small town of Moor Haven, Georgia. When I finally pull into the driveway, I grab my bag and walk into the house. I'm instantly greeted by an enthusiastic ball of golden fur, with a tail wagging furiously.

"Hey buddy," I kneel down to pet him, my bag still slung over my shoulder. Finally standing up, I kick off my shoes. I shout into the seemingly empty house, "Mom! I'm home!"

My mom walks in from the kitchen and gives me a tired smile, "Hi honey, how was practice?"

"It was good," I give her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. She walks back into the kitchen. I follow behind her, "hey Mom? Is it cool if I hang out with some friends tonight?"

"Sure, how late are you planning on staying out?"

"I'll be home by 1?" I answer tentatively.

She sighs before answering, "just remember, you have a game tomorrow."

I grin back at her, "Love you!" I walk up the steps and knock on my sister's door.

"What!" She calls out from inside the room. I open the door and see her sitting crisscross on the floor. She's leaning against her bed with her laptop on her lap, a textbook open next to her, and a couple pieces of line paper on her other side.

"Studying?"

"Yeah." She gives me a look as if to say 'Is it not obvious?'

"On a Friday night?"

"Are you daft?" Annoyed, she rolls her eyes at me, "yes, I'm studying on a Friday night."

"That sounds boring."

"Can you leave already? I'm sure you have to get ready for Dylan's party anyways."

"Well that's a bold assumption."

"What, am I wrong?"

"Maybe."

"Just get out of my room."

"Love you too!" I call out as I close the door behind me. I make my way to my bedroom and grab a change of clothes. I walk into the connected bathroom and turn on the shower.

"Well, I guess I'm going to a party tonight." I sigh and run my hand down my face.

~~~~~

"What're you looking at?" Liam asks from beside me on the couch. I almost don't hear him over the loud music vibrating off the walls.

"Nothing." I shift my eyes off of the blonde haired girl that's seemed to have caught my attention this past week. She must be new, I've never noticed her before.

"Ah, now I see." He chuckles, shaking his head.

"See what?"

"You're staring at the one and only Madison Miller."

"That's her name?"

"Yeah, you didn't know?"

"I thought she was new."

"Nah, she's just basically a ghost."

"How do you know her then?"

"Her brother's on the football team."

It finally hits me. Madison Miller. Her brother is Daniel Miller. "How have I never heard of her before?"

"Like I said, she's basically a ghost." He takes a sip from his solo cup, "no way you could ever get with her though."

"What do you mean?"

"Oh my god," letting out a sigh, he shakes his head again, "have you ever met her brother? Have you ever met her?"

"Obviously not."

"He's way over protective, and no way she would ever get with a guy like you."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"She's just not that kind of girl."

"I could definitely convince her otherwise." I smirk, eyeing the blonde that's laughing with her friends as I drink from my cup.

"Wanna bet?" Liam asks drunkenly.

I look over at him, considering his offer, "Seriously?"

"Sure." He sticks out his hand as I look at him.

"Deal." I shake his hand.

---------------------------------------------------------

OMG! We did it! This may be a boring and short chapter but I hope it gets better further in. We can experience this rollercoaster of a book together.👍

Happy Holidays!