2|beauty in the capitol

Start from the beginning

"Move."

Hunter flashed them a smile and Pearl tried not to frown. They were escorted out of the train, and Pearl realized that her nightmare had only just begun.

Pearl was being completely reimagined by the Capitol. She was forced to let the Capitol stylists do everything they can to "fix" her. They bathed her and took away every single imperfection on her body.

When they finished, Pearl didn't feel like herself. She felt like some doll the Capitol created. She wasn't enthusiastic when she was forced into yet another unfamiliar room.

She looked around, to find a woman with blonde curls and great fashion. Her outfit was poppy like the rest of the Capitol citizens, but something about it screamed extraordinary. She had to be another stylist.

She was ushered by a guard to the long white table. The door closed and the kind looking woman began to approach her.

"Hello," her gentle voice spoke.

Pearl was surprised that she had actually found two people who at least seemed sweet throughout this journey; this woman and Mags.

How can they still be so cheerful after everything they've been through?

"You must be Pearl."

Pearl just nodded at the sound of her name.

"I'm Tigris Snow."

Snow.

Pearl immediately backed up. She was a member of the Snow family. Was she sent to this room to be killed before the games even began?

"I promise I'm not like my cousin," she whispered.

Pearl could see the resemblance between them, but she could also see the huge differences. If Tigris hadn't told her that she was a Snow, Pearl may have never known.

"How can I trust that? How can I trust anyone here?"

Pearl didn't want to give her trust to anyone just yet. She knows better than to let someone get to her through her weaknesses.

"I'm your head stylist, and I promise I have no intentions of harming you, Pearl."

Tigris seemed genuine. She sat down on the long white cot quietly. "Not all of us want to be here. Snow took advantage of my love for fashion and I became one of the first stylists here."

Pearl suddenly felt bad for Tigris- no, she felt awful. To have someone like Snow force you to do something you hate is something she can relate to and sympathize for.

"Ok," she said taking a deep breath.

"Although I don't understand why Snow specifically assigned me to you... I've never been a stylist for a District 4 tribute before."

Snow sent his cousin to specifically be her stylist... Something about that made Pearl feel uneasy.

"He didn't say why?"

"Coryo- Coriolanus doesn't talk to me that much anymore."

Tigris forced herself to smile once again, trying not to think about what her and Coriolanus's relationship used to be like.

"The tribute parade is tonight, and that's when you get shown off to the whole world. I'm here to help with that."

Pearl frowned, knowing that she would never be good enough. Never pretty enough for the Capitol.

"You're here to make me look pretty?"

Tigris shook her head as she moved closer to Pearl. "You're already beautiful. I'm here to help you make an impression and get sponsors.