𝐀 𝐁𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐨𝐧 𝐚 𝐁𝐚𝐬𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐫 | 𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐰𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐋𝐢𝐩𝐭𝐨𝐧

Start from the beginning

"That hospital must've been real comfy huh Harvard?" He said with an almost angry undertone.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Webster asked confusingly.

"Well it's just we've been through piss and shit on the frontlines and you've been having a grand ol time with your tiny little leg wound." Liebgott replied as Sisk and Heffron gave looks of agreement.

"That's enough Joe." You looked at Liebgott furiously. "Let's not forget who the enemy is here."

Liebgott was clearly annoyed, but nodded to you as you walked towards Malarkey who was looking out the window.

"Word is there's going to be a patrol tonight across the river. You're leading." You said disappointingly to a frail and exhausted Don Malarkey.

"Shit" He looked down at his feet. "Do we have a roster of the men going on this patrol?"

"So far just you and me Don. That's all I know." You said patting his shoulder. "But from the looks of it you should be resting. Hell we all should. Who gives a shit about German pow's at this point in the war anyways." You lit Malarkey's cigarette for him. The men nodded to you in agreement.

"Hey (Y/n)." Heffron said. "How's Lip?"

"He's resting. I basically had to force him to lay down. You know Lipton. He's always gotta be there for the men."

"That's for sure." Heffron replied in admiration.

"You doing ok?" He said. All of the men looking at your tired face. They all knew your attachment to Lipton. Losing him would mean losing your future.

"I'm alright given the current circumstances. I'm sure we're all exhausted at this point huh? At least we get to sleep in beds tonight." You said as you patted Webster on the shoulder before exiting the room.

As you walked into the street Speirs approached you.

"Sargeant (L/n)."

"Yes sir?"

Speirs always gave you orders personally. Your theory was that he was protective of you as the only woman in the company, maybe he was just being polite. However the two of you had the utmost respect for one another.

"I wanted to give you the roster for tonight."

Here we go.

"It'll be you, Malarkey, Liebgott, Luz, Powers, Heffron, Jackson, Wynn, Webster, Martin, Cobb, and Randleman."

Your palms started to sweat. Lots of good men could lose their lives tonight over this shit war if things went sideways, but that's always been a possibility, it just felt even more pointless tonight.

"You'll be fine (Y/n). It's a standard patrol. Nothing you haven't done before and came back from. You'll go out at 0300 hours." Speirs handed you a paper to give to Malarkey. You knew Malarkey was in no condition to lead this patrol, but orders were orders.

"Yes sir."

As you and the men prepped your weapons, you looked at the concentration in their faces. You really hoped the operation would go smoothly, and you all make it out alive.

You prayed.

You walked over to the building Lipton was staying in and prepped him a can of soup before entering his room, it looked horrid but he needed to eat. He was reading a book, and waiting for your arrival. He lit up at the sight of you. He missed your face, but he looked disappointed seeing you in your gear. Grenades strapped to your chest. You sat on his bedside as he sat up.

"You're really going huh." He said with his Lipton puppy dog face you loved so much.

"Orders are orders. You know that." You swept his bangs out of his face, admiring his now rested but still exhausted features.