Chapter 25: Life's Not Fair

Start from the beginning

It was a hot summer day, nearly 100 degrees out, and we were practicing for the wedding of Jake's sister, Valerie.  

I was basically ready to pass out from the heat and I was bored out of my mind. Valerie had asked me to be one of her bride's maids which was great, except that it meant I had to practice walking and standing for the wedding. This for some reason took two hours out of the afternoon and in this sweltering heat I was practically loosing my mind. I was sweating enough to fill a glass. 

Jake didn't look too happy either especially considering he stayed up late the night before helping Valerie get through an emotional break down over the caterer having to cancel just a week before the wedding.

I gave him a sympathetic look when his head jerked up after a moment of nodding off. His eyes met mine and he gave me a half-hearted smile. He then proceeded to lick his finger dramatically and touch it to his butt, making a sizzling sound. Then he mouthed, "I'm that hot."

I stuck my tongue out at him.

I looked over at Valerie and her fiance, Dan. He was holding her hand gently and trying to reassure her. "Honey, I think we've practiced enough," he coaxed.

"Are you sure?" she asked, her brows knitting together in concern. "Because we've only practiced the walk twice and..."

"Hon, I think everyone knows how to walk straight down a path."

She sighed. "I guess you're right..."

"Let's go inside and drink some water," he said, wrapping his arm around her.

"Okay, okay..."

I sighed with relief as they slowly made their way inside, Dan turning his head to look at us over his shoulder and dramatically wiping sweat from his brow. I chuckled to myself as I walked over to Jake.

"How's it going sleeping beauty?" I asked, poking him in the rib.

He groaned, throwing his arm over my shoulder, encasing me in his body heat much to my irritation. "Beauty sleep is a privilege, Stace."

I pushed him off of me quickly, fanning myself. "Don't touch me, I can't handle any extra heat right now."

"It's true, I'm too hot for you," he joked sleepily.

I chuckled as I poked him in the cheek. "You're cute when you're sleepy." Before he could respond an idea crossed my mind and I gasped in excitement, jumping up and down. "We should get ice cream!"

He laughed. "One problem, silly, you just told me you're trying to save money," he taunted, tapping his finger on my nose.

I frowned, searching for a solution. My face lit up with a new thought. "You should pay for my ice cream!"

His brow furrowed as he looked at me. "Now why would I do that?"

"Because. You like me."

"Hmmm, I don't know-"

I hit him in the shoulder. "Don't lie."

He laughed and suddenly leaned down, picking up a stone. "I'll make you a deal."

I watched him warily, crossing my arms. 

"I'll throw this rock. If you can get it first then I'll buy you ice cream."

I frowned. "And what if you get it first?"

"Then you have to kiss me," he taunted, puckering up his lips humorously.

I rolled my eyes. "Fine, you weirdo."

A glint of mischief flashed in his eyes suddenly and I knew suddenly that I would regret agreeing to this. And I was proven right when he raised his hand and threw the stone directly into a nearby fountain.

My  jaw dropped and I only had a moment to register what he had done before he was racing up to the fountain. I quickly followed his lead, pausing only a moment before jumping into the knee-deep water. I really wanted that ice cream.

The water splashed against my thighs and I almost enjoyed how soothing the cool water was but I was was too distraught over finding that small stone in the giant fountain. I hadn't been paying attention to where it landed unlike Jake who was already racing through the fountain, splashing water up around him.

"Jake!" I cried out, following him quickly and scanning the floor for the small rock. 

I gasped when I saw the rock just in front of him. I tried to push him out of the way but he grabbed me, caging me in under his arm as he reached out for the rock.

"Let me go!" I growled, shoving against him and simultaneously trying to reach down to grab the rock.

The rippling water distorted the rock's image and his hand grasped blindly at the floor to reach it.

I jabbed my fingers into his ribs to try and get him to release me and suddenly he did. I quickly turned my attention to the rock, searching the ground in confusion when I didn't see it.

My eyes snapped up suddenly and I immediately scowled.

Jake was holding the stone with a triumphant smile on his lips as he looked down at me. "Sorry kiddo, better luck next time."

I growled angrily, glaring at him as I stood up straight and crossed my arms.

"Well?" he said expectantly. "Where's my kiss?"

I huffed. "I wanted ice cream."

He shrugged. "Life's not fair." Then he dropped the rock with a splash and grabbed my waist, pulling me flush to him. I was barely able to breathe in a startled gasp before his lips were on mine.

He kissed me hard, holding my body firm against him as the water lapped against our calves. 

I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling my body closer to his. He pushed his tongue boldly into my mouth and I moaned as his hot breath hit mine.  I was so lost in the kiss that I barely registered it when a voice called out to us.

Jake pulled back suddenly and it took me a moment to register that someone had just called his name. I immediately flushed hot crimson when I saw Valerie standing beside the fountain with an amused grin on her face.

"Dan's needs you to come with him to the dry cleaner's to pick up your suits," Valerie told Jake who was still holding me against him firmly. I tried to push away, giving him the hint that I wanted him to let go but he wasn't having any of it.

"Stacy, you should come with me and Rachel this Friday when we get our nails done," Valerie suggested casually.

I swallowed, trying to urge the blush off my cheeks. "Oh, o-okay," I stuttered nervously.

"Alright, see you two later," Valerie said smoothly, winking at me before turning and walking back down the path.

I pushed Jake away roughly when she left, no longer worried about my composure as I blushed furiously. "Oh my gosh, you're sister just saw us..." I shook my head in denial, wishing I could crawl into a hole and hide from the embarrassment.

Jake chuckled. "Stace, she's seen me in worse situations." 

I frowned at his words, frozen in shock. "What do you mean?"

He smirked playfully at me. "Well you know, I used to be quite the lady's man."

His words struck a sharp cord in me and I frowned, a bitter feeling passed over me. "Well, I should probably get home," I muttered, walking to the edge of the fountain and climbing out.

"Stace, wait," Jake said. I turned to face him reluctantly. "Do you still want ice cream?" he asked hopefully. 

I sighed, "I'm not hungry anymore."

____________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys, I know I've been a jerk and not uploaded in forever but I just graduated high school and life has been a roller coaster. But I'm working hard on getting close to the end of this book. I know, I know. Don't cry. :'( 

Hope you all have been having an awesome summer!