Writing Your First Draft

A first draft is the initial version of a piece of writing. Before you begin, seek out places and times of the day that encourage you to write. A caution: Don't mislead yourself. You can't produce a useful first draft while talking to friends and stopping only now and then to jot down a sentence. You won't draft smoothly.

Ways to start drafting: 

1.) Write a discovery draft. Put aside all your notes from planning and shaping. This means using FOCUSED FREEWRITING  to get ideas on paper or onto your PC so you can make connections that spring to mind as you write. Your discovery draft can serve as a first draft or as one more part of your notes when you write a more structured first draft.

Work from your notes:

2.) Sort your notes from planning and shaping into groups of subtopics. When you start writing, you can systematically concentrate on each subtopic without having to search repeatedly through your pile of notes. Arrange the subtopics in what seems to be a sensible sequence, knowing you can always go back later and re-sequence the subtopics. Now write a first draft by working through your notes on each subtopic. Draft either the entire story or paragraphs at one time.

Use a combination of approaches:

3.) When you know the shape of your material, write according to that structure. When you feel 'stuck' and don't know what to say next, switch to writing as you would for a discovery draft.

TIPS (to moving forward with the first draft): 

Mark spelling/grammar errors by using a symbol, highlighting or underling them. If the right word escapes you, jot down a synonym and return to it later. The same goes with styles. The point is to get your ideas on paper/PC. If you run out of ideas, re-read what you have written.

Remember, the first draft isn't meant to be perfect.