Issue #54 - My Mechanical Soul

Start from the beginning

"Just to check in, there are still no issues with the previous upgrades, correct?" Dr. Laurier asked. "No issues with overheating, bullet firing, processing times, mental capabilities, or your soul?"

"No issues, Dr. Laurier." I stated. "...soul? I do not believe there is a program with such name within me."

"I was referring to the metaphysical concept of the soul." Dr. Laurier clarified.

"I possess no such thing." I replied. "No matter my complexity, I am a programmed android, Dr. Laurier."

"But you have emotions, do you not?" Dr. Laurier crossed her legs, looking at me. "You feel things. You have motivations. Even if it's not apparently obvious."

"The concept of the soul is not scientifically confirmed." I spoke. "Even then, it would be considered something which is natural and cannot be artificially manufactured."

"Anything I 'feel' is simply programming." I continued. "It is all code."

I can feel.

It is thanks to Master that I discovered that.

It is part of why I completely devote myself to him.

But with the appearance of my sisters I have begun to question that line of thought. How much of that emotion I supposedly feel is truly my own? How much of it is simply programmed?

How much is from my personality module?

My sisters seemed to have their own distinct personalities. That is due to the personality module within them. My creator had been under the assumption that it was broken. I had agreed with that sentiment.

But then I started to feel because of Master.

Or was that truly it? Could it have been that my personality module was subdued? It hadn't fully activated? Or maybe part of my personality is to be mostly "emotionless".

According to the animes from Eleanor, there are characters with the classification of "kuudere". The idea of a character that does not show much emotion. It is reminiscent of myself.

I am simply a programmed being.

I am not natural. I was created.

These feelings are all fabrications.

However, that does not mean I will stop devoting myself to Master. These feelings may be fake, but they are still within me.

"I don't agree with that." Dr. Laurier stated, snapping me out of my rapid thoughts. "Come here. I want to show you something."

I walked over to where Dr. Laurier was sitting. She grabbed a cable plugged into the computer, flicked open the panel on my back, and plugged it into a port on myself.

Dr. Laurier quickly typed on the computer, pulling up a screen full of data. From there she maneuvered until a screen of code appeared onto the screen.

"My code." I stated. "What is your purpose here?"

"Nothing harmful. Just watch." Dr. Laurier stated, leaning back and moving her hands away from the keyboard to behind her head.

I watched the code, before noticing that it was constantly shifting. The code was constantly being changed and edited despite Dr. Laurier having no means to do so.

"I discovered something amazing when working on you." She smiled brightly. "Your code, specifically the personality module, is constantly shifting. Constantly changing and being overwritten. But by what?"

She grinned, poking me in the chest. "And after some investigation I realized it's by you. By yourself you're changing your own programming."

"That...cannot be possible." I muttered.