The Dragon Attack

-Madelyn Brooks POV-

"Ah! It appears we are almost ready to depart" said Professor Fig.
I adjusted my gloves, to which my sister just grabbed my hand.
"Stop doing that" I said. "You know what that does to you if you touch my skin"
"Maddie..." said my sister, Alice. "I never cared about magic. You know that. You are my sister. My only family"

"It's still strange they'd allow a Squib like me into Hogwarts" I sighed.
"Well your situation has never happened before" said Professor Fig. "A Squib with the ability to nullify magic with just a touch. Professor Weasley has made a special lesson plan for you. You'll attend non-magic classes like potions, a history of magic,... And you'll train with her and other professors to see if you can use your anti-magic for good things"
"I still don't buy it" I said. "I don't trust people"

"Forgive my sister, Professor" said Alice.
"No" said Professor Fig. "It's quite alright. I know of your situation. All I can hope, Madelyn, is that one day you'll trust me and the other teachers"
"We'll see" I said. "It's a pity you didn't have more time to practice spell-casting"
"Well, I do presume Alice has been practicing the spells we worked on" he said.
"I have, Professor" she said.
"She has, it was beautiful to see" I smiled. "I don't like magic, but I do like Ali's magic. It is beautiful"

"Well, I'm quite sure I've never seen anyone take so quickly to a second-hand wand" said Professor Fig. "You'll be a force to be reckoned with when you get your own"
"Thank you, Professor Fig" said my sister. "I appreciate your working with me before the term begin..."
Someone suddenly apparated.
"Holy shit!" I shouted. "I'll never get used to that"
Alice rolled her eyes at my vulgar language, but she has learned over the years I'll never change that.

"Oh! Eleazar!" the strange man shouted.
"George. Glad my rather cryptic description of our location did not thwart your finding us" said Professor Fig.
"I've Apparated to more vaguely defined destinations than this" George chuckled. "Though I confess I may have miscalculated slightly on my first try. Gave quite the fright to some theatre-goers in the West End"

"Yeah, no shit" I said and he looked at me. "Muggles are not used to magic"
Professor Fig just coughed at my language. "It's been much too long. When I received your owl. I must say I..."
But George interrupted him before Professor Fig could continue. "Best not speak here, Eleazar"
"Of course" said Professor Fig. "Why don't we speak on route to Hogwarts? We have a start-of-term feast and a Sorting Ceremony to get to"

'Not for me, I'll just mess the stupid hat up'
"Wonderful idea!" said George. "As long as your young charges here don't mind me tagging along"
"Not at all, sir" said Alice politely.
"Fine for me" I said.
"After you" said Professor Fig.

We got into the carriage and it began to fly.
"You wizards are crazy" I said. "Couldn't we just take the train or something?"
"Maddie" whispered Alice. "I know you don't like the situation. But mom can't take care of us anymore. This is the only way we could stay together"
"I know" I said. "I agreed to this. I'll try to be politer, okay?"
"Thank you" she smiled and squeezed my hand.

"Glad I caught you before you left for Scotland" said George.
"Just barely" smiled Professor Fig.
"And who are your travelling companions?" asked George.
"Two new students" said Professor Fig proudly.
"New?" asked George in disbelief.
"Yes, sir. Me and my sister are starting school as a fifth-year" said Alice.
"How extraordinary" he said.

"It is indeed" said Professor Fig. "None of the faculty has ever heard of anyone being admitted to Hogwarts so late"
"Nor have I" said George.
"Of course, as the other fifth-years will have been honing their magical skills for four years now, the Headmaster asked if I could get our new students up to speed a bit before the term begins" said Professor Fig.
'So we're not acknowledging that I am a Squib? Fine...'

"Well, you two couldn't have asked for a better mentor" said George. "Professor Fig is not only an exceptional teacher, he is also a remarkably intuitive and gifted wizard"
"Mr. Osric is prone to flattery, I daresay it's one of the reasons he's risen so far at the Ministry" chuckled Professor Fig.
"Have you seen this?" asked George and took out a newspaper.
"Ali! Those pictures are moving!" I shouted.
"Ranrok's Goblin Rebellion, Truth or Gobbledegook?" was the title.

"Muggle newspaper are indeed a lot different, Madelyn" said Professor Fig. "I have seen this. Opinions differ as to how great a threat Ranrok really is"
"Although I've yet to convince my colleagues at the Ministry, I believe he is a significant threat" said George.
Alice was looking outside and frowning.
"Ali?" I whispered.
"I don't know..." she said. "It is probably nothing"

"And it was your wife, Eleazar, who alerted me to his activities months ago" said George.
"Miriam? How?" asked Professor Fig.
George sighed. "She wrote to me about Ranrok before she died, wondering what the Ministry knew about his activities" he took something from his pocket, I squeezed next to my sister to see the object better.
"Before I could respond, I received this" he said. "It was the last thing she sent me, Eleazar" he said.
It was a little box, with a glowing symbol on it.

"It came to me via her owl, but with no correspondence. I can only assume..." he said.
"That she had to get rid of it quickly to keep it safe" finished Professor Fig.
"Presumably from Ranrok" said George. "I cannot open it. Whatever magic protects this is powerful indeed"
"It looks like goblin metal" said Professor Fig.
"Is no one going to acknowledge the strange glow on that thing?" I asked.
"I was wondering that myself" said Alice.

"I don't see a glow" said Professor Fig.
"Nor do I" said George.
Professor Fig gave it to Alice, who managed to open it with a simple touch.
"Merlin's beard! How did you...?" asked George.
Alice was about to take it out, when Professor Fig stopped her.
"Wait!" he said. "we do not know what..."