Chapter 10 Metamorphosis Unveiled: The Approaching Storm

In the post-apocalyptic world of Lanxiang City, the Chairman of Huaxia is deeply immersed in contemplation. He has just received distressing news from the technology department: the newly developed "Nightmare" jet fighters were shot down near the Eternity Hotel in Beilin City, resulting in the loss of all onboard. While the human casualties don't seem to weigh heavily on him, the destruction of the two advanced "Nightmare" jets is a source of great sorrow. These resources, dwindling in the apocalypse, are irreplaceable.The Chairman had dispatched the Nightmares to the United States carrying vital resources and a plea for help. But the mission ended in disaster, costing the base a fifth of its resources. To make matters worse, a massive horde of zombies in Kyoto is showing signs of moving southward toward Lanxiang City, which harbors over sixty percent of the nation's survivors. A further advance of the undead could spell doom for the entire base. Overwhelmed by the situation, the Chairman takes a drastic step – he writes a farewell note, pulls out a pistol, and ends his life.As seasons change, a month has passed since JOE transformed into a cocoon. Yet there's no sign of it breaking open. Meanwhile, humanity's military is restless, eagerly anticipating JOE's emergence.In this harsh new world, adventurers brave enough to venture into zombie territories in search of food and water are highly regarded. These risk-takers often return with vital supplies, but at a great personal cost. Many evolve special abilities, becoming powerful entities within the base. However, most of these evolved beings tend to leave the base upon gaining their new powers, showing little allegiance.But the crawlers, a formidable breed of zombies, have also suffered losses. Despite the assistance of two crow-like creatures named Wu Yi and Wu Er, the group of fifty-six crawlers has sustained various degrees of injury. In one harrowing encounter, Wu Er was almost killed by a rocket launcher, leaving it unable to walk. This incident led Wu Yi to launch a furious attack on the Lanxiang base, leaving those who witnessed it in a state of shock, as if they had seen a mythical phoenix, though Wu Yi is merely a large, ominous crow.As time passes, only thirty crawlers remain, their intelligence now rivaling that of their human controllers. They've even developed the ability to speak rudimentary phrases. The humans, underestimating the crawlers, find their forces dwindling. Only three evolved beings remain in the Lanxiang base – two men, Qin Bai and Zhang Pojun, and a woman, Bai Xiaoyu, all possessing elemental powers. However, they suffer from the side effects of their powers, unaware of the dangers of ability backlash.One day, the remaining evolved beings are sent on a mission that proves to be their last. Overusing their abilities, they collapse and are mistakenly taken to the rest area. The sixth Chairman of Huaxia, plotting against the crawlers, is suddenly informed that Qin Bai and the others have turned into zombies. In a tragic turn, he is forced to kill Qin Bai, understanding that their evolution into Elementals is inevitable and dangerous.Humanity, finally united against the common enemy, finds itself too late. Elemental zombies have emerged, leading to a massacre. The sixth Chairman, infected, takes his own life. The seventh Chairman steps in, vowing to reclaim Kyoto as humanity's stronghold. Despite clearing the nearby zombie hordes, his harsh policies lead to his assassination by the enraged survivors.As the first winter of the apocalypse sets in, the situation remains dire. The planned attack on the zombies in Beilin City is postponed due to the harsh weather and the dwindling number of able fighters. The eighth Chairman implements strict information control, but the despair is palpable.One year after JOE's transformation, there's still no sign of him. Wu Yi and Wu Er reluctantly accept that he might be lost. By now, the crawlers have mastered speech, although their appearance is still grotesque.Humanity, now armed with alloy scimitars, prepares for a massive offensive. These golden-bladed weapons are incredibly durable, capable of withstanding the evolved zombies' strength. Amidst these preparations, there's a stir in JOE's cocoon. Suddenly, it splits open, and a naked young man emerges, signaling a new chapter in this relentless struggle for survival.