Chapter 9 - The Ultimate Mystery

"Well I told you I didn't need an apology but okay." I shrugged and turned away, refraining from laughing as he tried to stay calm.

"You told me you didn't want me running away from the problem!" He started to raise his voice in frustration.

"Ppft-" I quickly cover my mouth, hoping he didn't hear that.

Well shit never mind. By the way he's looking at me he definitely heard me. I bit of fear fills me as he looks like he might actually kill me for once. It's short lived as he takes a deep breath.

"You don't have to go looking for me. After all, I should've known you and Dazai were dating."

Last time I recall we weren't dating. Hell, he hadn't even kissed yet! "No you got it all wrong. I don't exactly know if I will date him or not actually..."

"You should be with him. Someone like me isn't worth your time." With that he starts walking up the stairs and past me.

"Hold on!" I stand up and grab his coat.

Doing that was probably my dumbest decision as a shocking pain shoots through my leg, causing me to fall and bringing Chuuya down with me.

"Ugh, why would you do that!?" He lofted himself up, his hands placed next to my head.

I burst out laughing, only making him more mad. "Im sorry I didn't mean to my leg just-"

"Just shut up." Without a second thought he pressed his lips against mine.

This time I run my fingers through his hair, kissing him back. Surprisingly soft for messy hair.

He pulls away, his face still burning "I should probably let you go now..."

"Yeah I'm busy."

Chuuya scoffs as he stands up. "Bye Y/N."

"Seriously Wait this time!" He turns around, a slightly annoyed look on his face.

"I'm in the play coming up in a few weeks. If you're going to stop avoiding me then I'd at least want to see you in the audience."

He grunts and puts a hand on his hip. "I heard. Something about an epic mystery?"

"The Ultimate Mystery." I corrected.

"Whatever. Fine I'll be there. But you better do a hell of a good job." He waves as he walks away.

I didn't really care about doing good on stage until I knew he would be watching. And also the fact of looking like a fool on stage. I guess I'll put some effort into the performance.

——

It was the night of the play, our outfits were on and makeup on. Dazai and I wouldn't be on stage till act 2 so we stayed behind.

"I'm on! See you during intermission!" Aiden waved at me as she ran off on stage with Rampo, giggling.

I knew they were dating by the way they were constantly together. Always laughing and joking and sometimes really close. I was happy for her since she normally gets no bitches but I'd be one to talk.

"Are you excited my precious Y/N~?" Dazai materialized behind me and grabbed my shoulders.

"Can you stop doing creepy shit like that?" He only laughs in response.

We both wore a large coats as our costumes. Mine was buttoned with a belt. I had long black stockings and black boots. Dazai wore the same coat but unbuttoned and ripped jeans. He had a button up shirt underneath and a tie.

"I guess you could say I'm excited. We have been working on this for a while." Thinking about it, i was feeling a bit nervous.

"On in five, Y/N, Dazai!" Someone shouted nearby.

We make our way to the stage, Dazai reaching to grab my hand. I take his as we walk on stage.

"It's terrible that the unstoppable Rango and infamous Lucian would be on our trail!" Dazai said in character.

     I cross my arms, stopping in my tracks. "If we want to stop them, we have to rid of the evidence. With my ability, it'll be gone in an instant, but-it comes with a price."

     "Dear Charolette, do tell!" He takes my hands and pulls me close.

     I glance at the audience to see if Chuuya was here. I scanned the seats and saw Atsushi and Akutagawa sitting next to each other holding hands. The entire Student Council was there but not Chuuya. He said he would be here so where is he..?

     "...In 2 days, it will kill me..."

     "Why...why!?" He shouts as he falls to his knees.

     "Please stand my love. You will live on without me..."

    "I will use the poison on me! We shall go down together!"

     "There's no use in stopping you so if that is what you desire..." Dazai held me close.

      With that the stage lights turned off and the curtains closed. It was half time so we rang off stage and into the back. It was loud as the audience and crew were all talking.

    "There you are!" Atsushi came in, tackling me with a hug.

     "Whoa, you can't be back stage!" I said, looking around to see if anyone had spotted him.

     "It wasn't hard to sneak by and I'll be back in my seat soon enough!" He definitely seemed happier than normal.

     "We're gonna start soon so you should go now. Thanks for coming." We quickly hug before he runs off.

     Dazai puts his hand on my shoulder, looking at me then the stage. The lights turn on as cast members run on and off stage. The last time me and Dazai would be on stage was for our dance. It was supposed to be romantical to show the relationship between the two murderers but I find it stupid.

     "You ready, Girlie?" I smile as Dazai calls me that name.

     "I am."

     We stand near the stage, hiding behind the curtain as be prepare to dance okay stage and into the spot light. He takes my hand with his, his other on my waist and mine on his shoulder. I wasn't wearing anything beautiful so it felt very anticlimactic in my perspective. The music began as our cue to get on stage. This it is...

     The dramatic but calming piano music played as we danced across the stage. We maintained eye contact the entire time, causing me to forget about the audience and as if we were in a real ballroom. It was a simple side to side but it felt like we were dancing on clouds, gliding on stage.  The blue spotlight followed us before recentering in the middle of the stage. Dazai spun me around then pulled me in, leaning me back. Thankfully his hand was supporting me otherwise I'd fall in these heals. Suddenly he kissed me, completely off from script.