Chapter 1

Inosuke hasn't had the most enjoyable Christmas experiences in his life. Never has he experienced the childlike wonder or warmth of a family.

Inosuke didn't take quickly to men.

His first Christmas was why he didn't.

Or rather the month that leads up to it.

This was the first one he remembers, four years old and his father was a bastard. He spent the money his mother had saved up, after gambling away his own. Then he ranted and spit hateful words to his mother who only wanted him to grow up in a peaceful household.

That doesn't happen because, for every bruise Inosuke got, Kotoha had three more.

Finally, after a shouting match on his father's side, their neighbors were tired of the noise and called the police. The police had come in right as his father had punched at his jaw, a spike courage to protect his mom causing him to get grabbed by his father.

The police tackled him to the ground and he curled his small body into his mom as they were taken into questioning. The officer asked him slowly if his father hit him daily. He would confirm that the man he was kin to was indeed an abuser to both him and his mother.

He would whimper at his cracked baby tooth that his mother took him to the dentist and soon he was back to normal with his father out of their life permanently.

Some Christmas present, taking away the one causing heartache.

He didn't mind at the time, perfectly content with his mother making Harusame soup for the two of them.

—Their living situation quickly changed that following year, he started school and had to be peeled off his mom when being left himself

Their living situation quickly changed that following year, he started school and had to be peeled off his mom when being left himself.

He would fight with the other boys at school while his mom was struggling to find work.

That Christmas, he was fine with the making of Miso soup. His mom's money was scarce and they had to make the sacrifice of no heating.

 His mom's money was scarce and they had to make the sacrifice of no heating

So there they were in a studio apartment on their pullout couch. His mom gave him most of the comforter so he was not cold for the night. He had worn so many socks and his little coat that night.