Warmth of You

Começar do início

What she had gathered from him was that Hajime saw her as someone reliable. A compliment she was willing to take.

"I get it," Mahiru said. "You want someone who can see what everyone else wants, don't you?"

Hajime nods, it seems that she hit the mark with that one.

"Listen, I don't know how to plan big parties, especially the Christmas party-related kinds," Mahiru warns, crossing her arms around her. "But fine, I'll do my best to try and make up a plan with you."

"Really? Wow," Hajime says in shock. "I didn't think you would say yes."

She exclaims in offense, "Geez, you think I always say no?"

He chuckles nervously, scratching the back of his head. It seems like that's the case.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The present...

"Are you there?" Hiyoko called out, bringing the photographer back to the present. The day had come for the Christmas party to commence. Err, more of a Christmas Eve party if she had to specify.

"Sorry. I was lost in my thoughts," Mahiru apologized, shaking her head lightly in an attempt to wake herself up more. "Did you ask anything?"

"I was asking if you got a gift for him?" Hiyoko asked. "Since you gave me a gift too."

'Shoot. I forgot...' Mahiru cursed at herself. Occupied with planning the party, Mahiru had no opportunity to get or even think of what gift to give Hajime. She can't possibly think of a gift right now on the day of the party.

"Sorry Hiyoko, I can't tell you that right now." Mahiru lied.

"Why? I can keep a secret, you know!" Hiyoko said.

"That's because it's..." Mahiru hesitates. "It's a surprise for him!"

Hiyoko groans at the response. The "surprise" answer always does the trick for covering up mistakes, at least that's what Mahiru thought at the time.

"Fine! That surprise better be good Mahiru!" Hiyoko huffed. "Even if he sucks."

All the photographer could do was to laugh. This isn't good. Not good at all.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The festive Christmas Eve party had finally started.

The Old Lodge had been decorated with Christmas-themed wall decor, including a large Christmas tree outfitted with unique ornaments crafted and painted by everybody the day before as a bonding activity.

To set the festive mood, Mahiru had requested for Ibuki to perform for the party. Although it wasn't a stage performance, Ibuki gladly agreed to the request. As soon as the party got going, Ibuki strummed to her guitar, singing her metal versions of famous Christmas songs.

After the first two songs, people had requested for her to stop completely, and she begrudgingly adhered to their wishes.

"I'm sorry Mahiru!" Ibuki wailed, gripping onto the photographer's skirt. "I did my best! But I guess it wasn't enough..."

Mahiru reassured her, "No you did great! Don't worry about it!"

"You can just hang out with the rest of us, how about that?" Mahiru asked nicely.

Ibuki sniffles through her tears and nods in agreement. She mumbled a small apology once again before making her way to the others. In the end, Mahiru was left confused as the act was out of character for her.