Chapter 4: Apprehended

Arielle Franks came out the back door five minutes after the clock struck eight. The bank had been extremely busy, and she was exhausted. The facility would be closed on Monday because of Labor Day, and they closed on the weekends anyway. As a result, everyone had decided to do their banking today. Her feet felt like they were about to fall off, and her back was aching, so she was happy she was finally on her way home.

She felt both of her skirt pockets as she neared her car. They were empty. She frowned, wondering where she could have put her car keys. Suddenly, she remembered she'd tossed them into her purse when she returned from lunch. She slid her bag off her shoulder, held it in front of her with one hand, and used her free hand to search inside. She wasn't watching where she was going, but there were plenty of eyes on her, and she hadn't even noticed them.

Over in the grass, Prendle was as nervous as she could be. She had gotten ready quickly and headed out the back door so no one would see her. Grace, the second shift girl, was almost as bad as Leah for asking questions, so she confirmed she was busy when she sneaked out. Then she slipped into her car and drove crazily to arrive at the bank in time. She parked her car on the other side of the field and trudged through excessively tall grass. She could see everything from where she was sitting, everything but what she wanted to see. She didn't see one police car anywhere on her way from the hotel, and she didn't see any signs of them there either. It was causing her heart to go into full panic mode. Arielle was already out in the open, with no one to protect her, and Prendle knew she was about to die. There was nothing, short of putting herself in harm's way, she could do about it. Prendle had informed the police. She had done her part. Of course, if it came down to it, she wouldn't think twice about saving Arielle's life if she had to. It's just the sort of person she was. She kept her eyes trained on Arielle.

Crouched in between the columns by the ATM was a man. He had been there for quite a while. He stood up to stretch his legs. He had been watching the bank for days, waiting for someone to exit alone. The employees always seemed to travel in packs. He could hardly believe it had finally happened. He watched Arielle walk to her car and put her purse on the hood. He fantasized about how much money would be in it when he grabbed it from her. All the man had to do was make his move. He moved out into the open quickly and quietly.

Detective Findlay was positioned perfectly, hidden behind the sidewall of the bank. He could see everything, including that guy who had just moved out. His build was stocky and pumped. A part of Lucas couldn't believe the psychic had been right about the robbery. He hurriedly grabbed his radio from his belt and moved it to his mouth. He kept his voice low when he spoke. He didn't want to scare the suspect away. He wanted to make sure they caught him.

"This is Findlay. I've got movement in the back. Slowly and quietly make your way to the back parking lot. The suspect is making his move. There's a civilian, so be careful. I assume he's armed and dangerous."

"Copy that," Jeff said right away. "Tom and I see him too. We're just down by the car parked next to hers."

Lucas got responses from all of his officers in seconds. He extracted his gun from its holster on his belt and returned his focus to the crime in progress. He removed the safety, preparing it to fire if necessary. The suspect was only a foot away from Arielle now, so Lucas made his move. He knew he had backup. He could handle anything the man tried to throw at him. Lucas ran out from his hiding place soundlessly, his gun aimed at the suspect. He waited until he was close before he spoke.

"Freeze!" he shouted.

Arielle screamed and whirled around, startled to pieces. She thought she was alone. Arielle placed her hand over her heart when her eyes fell on the man in the ski mask so close to her. Her eyes moved to Lucas, the man with the gun, and she exhaled in relief.