•Chapter 36•

Amara was finally giving Nate a chance. A chance to prove himself right. That he will fill her life with sunshine and never allow her demons to destroy his life and happiness as well.

She had finally opened up to Dylan that the man she talked about was Nate. And he couldn't be happier. According to him she had found herself a unlimited supply of good luck. He had the best boss who will keep his friend happy.

"So you have a date tonight?"

"Yes" Amara was nervous.

Dylan winked, "Nervous as a cat in a dog kennel?"

Amara playfully swatted his shoulder. "Hilarious. I just haven't been on a proper date in...well, ages."

"Since that..." Dylan started, then stopped, knowing Nate was still a sore topic.

"Since the walking red flag," Amara finished for him, a ghost of a smile on her lips. "But tonight's different. Nate's different."

"And for this date, you need a dress. And I will bring the best dress for this night for you, my friend" at the moment Amara thanked her past self for accepting his hand of friendship.

Amara's apartment buzzed with nervous energy. Dylan, ever the cheerleader, bustled around like a miniature whirlwind, humming to himself and occasionally breaking into impromptu dance moves.

He disappeared into her bedroom and emerged moments later, holding a dress like a triumphant matador.

"Behold!" Dylan declared, his eyes sparkling. "The Dress of Destiny!"

Amara gasped. The dress shimmered like liquid gold, with delicate straps that disappeared into a sweetheart neckline. The bodice hugged her curves without being restrictive, and the skirt flowed down in soft folds, whispering promises of a gentle breeze.

"It's...it's perfect," she breathed, her fingers tracing the smooth fabric.

"I knew it!" Dylan beamed. "Now, shoes, jewelry, makeup...we have a date to win!"

The next hour was a flurry of activity. Dylan expertly transformed Amara from nervous wallflower to radiant goddess. He helped her slip into the dress, which clung to her like a second skin, then added delicate gold jewelry that picked up the shimmer of the fabric. He finished with a touch of soft pink lipstick and mascara, accentuating her already striking features.

"Wow," Amara whispered, turning to face Dylan. "I...I don't think I've ever felt this beautiful."

Dylan grinned. "That's because you are, Amara. Now go out there and show Nate what he's been missing."

Taking a deep breath, Amara slipped on a pair of strappy gold heels and grabbed her clutch. As she opened the door, a nervous flutter danced in her stomach. But beneath it, a spark of excitement ignited. Tonight, she wasn't just going on a date. She was taking back her life.

The doorbell cut through the air like a sharp note, sending a jolt through Amara's nerves. She took another deep breath, trying to steady her racing heart. Dylan, ever the master of the moment, gave her a quick wink and a thumbs-up before disappearing behind the door.

A moment later, Nate's face filled the peephole. He looked handsome, his usual grin replaced by a nervous smile that mirrored Amara's own. He straightened his shirt and smoothed his hair, his eyes flickering over her dress for a brief, almost imperceptible moment before meeting hers.

Amara opened the door, a small smile playing on her lips. "Hi, Nate."

"Hi," he replied, his voice a touch deeper than usual. "Wow, Amara. You..." he trailed off, speechless for a moment.