41. Five years later.

(Dave)

A lot had happened meanwhile. The perpetrator of the bomb attack had been found. It was Marco Bianchi, and it was clear to see that he was the perpetrator. He must have been desperate after losing his daughter because he had given it himself to the caterer who saw no harm in it and thought it was an innocent gift from the company. Well, not! 

But let's not dwell on the bad news. Arthur and Stephanie got married and had a babygirl, Tess.  Business is booming as never before. But I enjoy life more because it is way too short. As expected, Vanessa's sister was suddenly divorced. Ryan cheated on her with a friend of hers. She is now with a good man, Dan, and her family has grown with three more boys.

And so, today, about five years ago, I lost two people who were dear to me. As always, I went to work for half a day this morning. My staff knows that I go to the cemetery every year on this date in the afternoon, and I will continue to do so until I can no longer do it.

In my parked car, I sigh as I look at the cemetery gate. I get out and take the two bouquets out of the boot of my car.

I walk between the different graves without looking until I stop at the grave where I need to be. I take the old flowers out of the vase and put one bouquet of the two in its place. I hold the old flowers in my other hand. I look around and see no one.

"Hello, today is already five years ago that I had to say goodbye to you. A good note. Marco Bianchi died in prison last month. Fellow prisoners caused a riot, and he never got out. I have my doubts that it was an accident, as there are rumours of a whole new drug cartel. No involvements this time, I'll stay away from that crappy show." I sigh deeply before continuing, "Business is going great and..."

"Daddy..." a small voice — one that sounds all too familiar to me — calls out in the distance. I turn around and see my little five-year-old mini-version running towards me.

"Daddy, Daddy!" The little boy shrieks excitedly -without realizing that he is in a cemetery and the pronounced rule here is silence- And I take him in my arms, squeezing him tightly. "George, where is your mummy?"

"She's on her way. But it's slow again," my son says, rolling his eyes playfully.

"Hey, be nice. Emily can't walk as fast as you." I turn around with my son in my arms, and the most beautiful woman in the entire world walks towards me. My 

Vanessa, radiant with a smile, carries our two-year-old daughter, Emily, in her arms. A smile spreads across my face as I see them.

"Daddy," Emily's soft voice calls out. I reach out and scoop her up, holding both children close.

"Look who's here!" I say, turning to the grave. "I see you've already changed the flowers?"

"Yes, can you take the other one? I'm short of hands." Vanessa giggles as she takes the bouquet and places it beside the grave.

I look at the gravestone. "George Lavens," my son reads aloud.

"Hey, I have the same name as grandpa!" George says, his eyes shining with pride.

"Yes, you certainly do. Grandpa is our hero. He saved you and Mom," I explain, my voice catching with emotion.

"But, he's gone?"

"Yes, but without him, we wouldn't be here," Vanessa answers, her voice gentle. She bends down and kisses George on the forehead.

"I'm glad I have his name. Who are those other flowers for?" George asks, his curiosity evident.

"For Barbara. She's a bit further away. She was a hero too," Vanessa says softly.

"Oh, but why doesn't sister have her name then?"

Vanessa and I exchange a look and laugh gently. "Barbara is your sister's middle name. Come on, are you coming? We're going to Barbara's, and then we're going to eat pancakes," Vanessa says. The two children cheer and wriggle free from my arms until I put them on the ground.

"I'll stay here a little longer. I still have to tell my father something," I say, watching as Vanessa leads the children away.

"Okay. Shall we meet at the cars?" she asks, glancing back with a warm smile.

I nod and wait until my wife and children are out of sight. I turn back to the grave, feeling a lump in my throat.

"Without you, this would never be true," I speak softly. "If you and Barbara hadn't run away with that bomb in time, I would have lost many more loved ones. Too bad you didn't get to see your grandchildren born. I know how excited you were to become a grandfather."

I pause, taking a deep breath. "That's why I'm telling you this first. Vanessa and I are expecting another child. We're going to keep it a secret again until the time is right, but I wanted you to know first."

I place my hand on the gravestone, feeling the weight of the years and the loss. "I'll see you on your birthday. I'll tell you the gender of our baby then. Keep it a secret, okay?"

I give a final kiss to my fingertips and touch the stone one last time.

As I head back to the car, I hear the sound of laughter and the chatter of my children. My heart warms at the sight of Vanessa walking hand-in-hand with our two little ones. I reach out my hand, and Vanessa takes it with a smile. I pull her close and hug her tightly.

"Did you tell him?" she asks, her eyes glistening with understanding.

"Yes, he got to know first," I reply, tucking a loose lock of hair behind her ear. I lean in and kiss her gently.

"Ew, stop that, mom and dad. Kissing is gross," George complains, making a face.

Vanessa and I both burst out laughing, the sound mingling with the children's giggles. Vanessa turns to George with a teasing grin. "Oh, you think kissing is gross?"

She leans down and gives George three quick kisses on his cheek. He wipes them away with a disgusted look, making us all laugh harder.

"Come on, we're going to the pancake house. We have a surprise for you," I announce. The children cheer, their excitement infectious.

George climbs into the car with me, while Emily settles beside Vanessa. As we drive to the pancake house, Vanessa turns to me with a smile.

"Do you think they would have been proud?" she asks softly, her hand resting on my leg.

"I know they would have been," I reply, squeezing her hand. "They would have loved seeing how far we've come."

As we pull up to the pancake house, the children are already bouncing in their seats. The smell of pancakes and syrup fills the air, and for a moment, everything feels perfect.

(Vanessa)

If you had asked me six years ago where I would be now, I wouldn't have been able to answer. The answer wouldn't have been very positive either.

Now, I can only tell you that I'm living in a dream. A wonderful dream, with a man I love dearly and two beautiful children who will soon learn that our family will grow again. I am happy, and if I could go back in time, I would do it all over again. The good and the bad things have led me to now.

Surrounded by the love of friends, family, and my family, I feel complete. And even though I don't know what the future will bring, I know that no one can take this happiness away from me.

The end.