1 - The Stranger's Awakening

2nd person

You very tiredly open your eyes, thinking all that happened was just a dream. "Ah... is it morning already? Wait... what's that sound?" You curiously think to yourself as there were thuds and clanking heard.

"I better hurry up and find that uniform before someone spots me..." a raspy, unfamiliar voice said, seeming to be in a panic. "Urggh.. this lid weighs a ton!"

Finally realising your surroundings, you appeared to be in a box. A coffin, to be precise. "Woah what the hell, where am I?!" You started pushing the lid of the coffin out so you can get out of there. It was pretty suffocating.

"Try this on for size! Mya-ha!" The voice yelled out.

Blue fire burst everywhere, you could even see it from inside the coffin. "F-f-FIRE?!!" Panicking, you put even more strength into pushing the lid out before finally succeeding and looking around to see where you are.

You were completely in shock when you saw many coffins just floating, and a talking cat.

"Heheh... WHAT??! You ain't supposed to be awake!" In front of you, was a grey cat with blue fire coming out of its ears. It had big, beady lapis eyes with a striped bow attached to its back.

"A... talking weasel..?" You tilted your head in confusion, completely in disbelief of your current predicament.

"How... HOW DARE YOU?! I am no WEASEL! I'm The Great Grim, sorcerer extraordinaire!" Grim shouted at you with furrowed brows. "Tch... whatever. You, human! Just gimme your uniform and be quick about it! Cause if you don't... you're gonna regret it!"
"Aw hell nah... I ain't giving you my clothes" you thought to yourself.

Before you could say anything, Grim released his blue fire again. "Hey, come on! I'm on a tight schedule here!"

Suddenly, an idea came to you. Why not try to manipulate your way of the situation? You hope it wouldn't come to this... but you do what you have to do.

"Hey... 'the Great Grim', please spare me from your powerful magic!" You pleaded, while internally cringing.

"H-huh?" Grim was visibly confused. This was the first time someone actually thought of him as 'The Great Grim'. "Well... human, since you acknowledge my power, I shall spare you if you give me your uniform! Because I - The Great Grim am incredibly merciful and..." as he kept rambling about himself, you saw this as an opportunity to dash out and escape. There was no way a cat could outrun you, you were the fastest in your class. Heck, even your entire school.

"So I- hey- HEY HUMAN COME BACK HERE!" He finally realised you were gone and went after you. You both ran for ages. You were slowly running out of breath, but if he catches up to you, you would be out of breath literally.

"Where am I?" You were in a library.

"Foolish human! Did you really think you could slip away from ME?" Grim appeared right behind you.

"Ah shit... him again."

"Now, unless you wanna get burned to a crisp, take of that- meYEOWW! That hurt! What gives?!" Grim screeched as a tall man with a bird mask whipped Grim.

"Consider it tough love." He had a big hat with short hair poking from underneath it coloured a green-ish black(?). Glowing, yellow dots were visible from his mask, probably his eyes. But you weren't really happy to see him, because some part of you could sense that he was bad news for you. He then glanced at you, his eyes widening in surprise. "Ah, I've found you at last. Splendid! I trust you're one of this year's new students? My, were you ever eager to make your debut."

Students? You had no idea what he was talking about.

"And bringing a poorly trained familiar with you? That is a clear violation of the school's rules." The man glanced at Grim, then back at you.

Your eyes widened. THIS is a school? Damn, way better than the one you went to back home. They've got broken ceilings and plastic chairs, along with emotional distress handed to you on a silver platter.

"Sir, I don't know what-" as you were about to finish your sentence, you got cut off by Grim.

"As if I'd server some lowly human! Now lemme go!" He threw his arms around.

"Stop throwing your arms around, you'll hit me." You glared at Grim.

"I- I don't care!" Grim responded to you, while internally shivering at your intense glare.

"Yes yes, that is what all rebellious familiars say. Do be quiet for a bit, won't you?" The bird man glared at Grim, with a surprisingly calm tone. "Dear me. Of all the students I've dealt with, you're the first with temerity enough to open their own gates and step out of it." Gates? What gates? All you remembered was a coffin. "Does the very notion of patience elude you? No matter, the orientation has already begun, let us return to the mirror chamber."

"Student..?" You asked him with visible confusion in your mesmerising (E/C) eyes.

"You awakened in a room full of gates, did you not? All of the students here arrived at the campus by passing through such gates. Although typically the students have restraint enough to wait until I open them before waking up." He replied to you.

"So those coffins are like... gateways?" Still, you were confused about everything.

"The design is intended to symbolise a parting with your former world, and a rebirth into a new one." He put a hand on his chin, "but now is not the time for such prattle, you've a student orientation to attend! Go on now, make haste."

Despite his words telling you to go, you stood there still. "First, just tell me one thing, where am I and who are you?" That's two things, but who cares.

The bird man blinked. His head tilted, "Hm? Have you not fully regained consciousness? The time space teleportation must have addled your memories... well, these things happen, I suppose. I shall explain it to you while we walk. Truly, my magnanimity is boundless!" He praised himself, while you deadpanned him.

You walked with the man, who still didn't answer who he is, to the courtyard. "Ahem! This is Night Raven College." He threw his arms up while you looked around in amazement. It was huge! "It is an institution for students all over the world who demonstrate a rare aptitude for magic. It is the most prestigious academy of its sort in all of Twisted Wonderland. And I am Dire Crowley, and have been entrusted by the chairman to serve as headmage."

The whole time while he was talking. A certain word stuck out to you. "Wait wait wait... magic?!" You exclaimed in shock.

"Only those who the Dark Mirror perceives as having a talent for magic are admitted to this college. Those who are selected are summoned to the campus through those 'gates' which can appear anywhere. A black carriage bearing one such gate should have come to meet you." Strangely, you don't remember anything about a black carriage. All you remembered was that you were pulled out of your bedroom by a weird glowing mirror.

"No... I don't remember anything about that." You cooed, as Crowley furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"Huh? How strange... that black carriage serves to receive a student chosen by the Dark Mirror. It too bears a gate that connects to this campus. And as you know, sending a carriage to meet someone on a special day is a time-honoured tradition." He spoke, while still thinking about what you said.

"Uh, a time-honoured tradition WHERE?!" You yelled out. You've just been kidnapped, by a mirror!

"Mmmpph. MMPMMH!" Grim tried to speak while furiously throwing a tantrum. You glanced at him.

"Oh. I forgot you were here." You savagely said to Grim as he became even more furious.

Crowley put his hand up, clearly signalling Grim to shut up. "Now, let's attend your orientation."

He started walking towards the doors of the school, dragging Grim along. You were still wary of all this, but you had to go with him. Where else would you even be able to go? This place was definitely not safe for you.

[if you're wondering why Crowley hasn't realised Y/N is a girl, it's because she's wearing a hood that's pretty big, so it kind of shades her face to prevent it from being seen. And she's wearing a binder. Also, English isn't my first language so I'm very sorry if things don't make sense, autocorrect saving my life rn 🥲]