Chapter 161 - 165

Start from the beginning

"Your task is more important than making steamed cakes, that's why!" Su Wen turned to Su Xiu and was nearly blinded by her zeal.

Cough, cough..." She looked away, uncomfortable. She could not bear to dash Su Xiu's hopes. Exploiting her made Su Wen feel like a villain.

Read latest Chapters at Wuxia World . Site Only

"Big Sister, there's still me. I can do anything." Su Xiu expressed her endless enthusiasm. "Give me a task! If I don't succeed, I can always tend to the fields to earn a few credits. Our family still has to do our part tilling the fields."

No matter how lazy a family was, some still had to work the fields to earn credits.

Recently, no one in Su Wen's family had stepped up to the plate. As time passed, word spread, and people would talk behind their backs.

"Don't worry. I'll settle the groundwork." When Su Wen first returned, she had arranged for Su Xiu to do farm work to earn credits for the family. She did not expect her to earn much, but it was also the case that she had not wanted to stand out too much and attract gossip. Now that she had spent time with her sisters, she could not bear to send them to do hard labor.

After all the hard work Su Xiu had become very tanned and skinny. Su Wen wanted Su Xiu to look after herself and rest at home..

Chapter 162: Buying a Sewing Machine

Translator: Nyoi-Bo Studio Editor: Nyoi-Bo Studio

"I'll leave the making of steamed cakes to you from now on. Since you've learned the basics, the rest should be easy. Do your best," Su Wen said.

Su Xiu happily accepted her task under the envious gazes of Su Qing and Little Sister Su. She got to her feet and bowed shyly to her assembled crowd as if she were the village chief thanking everyone for attending a meeting he had organized.

"Thank you, Big Sister, for giving me a chance. I, Su Xiu, promise to complete your assigned task and increase the family's income."

Su Xiu was so excited that tears welled up in her eyes. While she had spoken to reassure her sisters that she would do her best, it was also her first time committing herself so seriously to a task.

Su Xiu had always wanted to change her family's poverty-stricken fate and alleviate some of their hardships. She wanted to free her eldest sister from the vicious tongues that slandered her behind her back, earn more money to put her younger sisters through school, and prepare a suitable dowry for her Second Sister when she eventually married.

All the other girls of similar ages in the village were married or engaged. Second Sister was the only one left, and no matchmaker had taken it upon themselves to help her. Their family was always despised for not having a man in the household or being too poor to afford a proper dowry.

Su Xiu was not blind; she had seen it all. Although Second Sister never spoke about it, Su Xiu knew it weighed heavily on her mind.

Su Xiu had always done the hard work in their family, but she did not hate her sisters for having had to take up this mantle. She accepted her role as a necessity. She plowed the fields, planted the seeds, weeded the weeds, and harvested the wheat. She worked without complaint, toiling for hours to supplement their family's income.

Su Xiu knew she was not as strong as a man and would never work as fast as the others, but she soldiered on to improve their situation and give her sisters a chance at a better life.

However, as the years passed, Su Xiu realized there was no hope for a better life in farming. Now that she had learned from her eldest sister, Su Xiu's hopes for her family were rekindled.