Mrs. Margaret squeezed my shoulder before going back behind the counter. I followed Chase to a table near the back of the restaurant. Max squeezed himself beneath the table between my legs.

"No one has ever given you problems about bringing him into places with you, have they?" Chase suddenly asked me.

I shook my head. "Only once, but I always carry his papers with me," I explained. "The issue was quickly resolved."

Chase nodded. "Don't tell anyone I told you this, but every once in a while, Nana will bring her Rottweiler to work with her. Daisy is a massive dog, and she can be a bit mean, but she makes Nana feel safe, especially when she has to open this place by herself in the mornings."

I frowned, a chill crawling up my spine, suddenly making me cold. "I thought this was a pretty safe town?" I questioned, not trying to sound alarmed and freaked out.

Chase flashed me an easy-going smile. "It is, sweetheart," oh dear, the pet names, "but crime can pop up anywhere, even a small town like this."

I knew that better than anyone. Your neighbor who had always been kind to you and your mother could one day turn out to be the number one person you had to fear.

I brushed that thought away, focusing back on Chase, determined to enjoy this dinner with him despite my fears of getting close to anyone ever again.

"What made you settle down here?" Chase asked me.

I shrugged. "I lost my mother to cancer," I told him quietly, a pang hitting my chest as I mentioned her.

Chase's smile fell from his lips immediately. "I'm sorry to hear that," he said softly. He reached out to touch my hand, but thought better of it, pulling it back again. "That must have been hard."

I nodded. "It was. I didn't know how to cope, so I used all the money I had saved up for college to take a road trip around the United States to spread her ashes in all of the places she wished she could have visited. I ended up here, and it just – the town just spoke to me."

He smiled then. "It happens like that sometimes," he admitted. "You just see something, and it calls to your soul."

And the way he was staring at me, I kind of felt like he was talking about me.

A young girl walked up to our table, breaking his intense stare. She had blonde hair pulled up in a high ponytail with a bow in it that was the colors of the local high school. Her make-up was done to perfection, and the smile on her face was super bright but definitely genuine.

And her cheeks flushed at the sight of Chase. Obviously, he was the local guy everyone seemed to want.

"Um, hi, Sheriff," she said shyly, setting two menus down in front of us. Her eyes brightened when she saw me. "Oh, you just opened the bookstore next door, didn't you?" she asked me.

I smiled at her. "I did, yes."

She was immediately gushing. "Oh, my God, my friend – Jamie – told me you can special order books if we request them. Can you do that?"

I laughed. "I sure can. Tell me what the book is and the author."

Chase laughed softly as he opened his menu when she clapped her hands together, clearly excited. "There's a new indie romance author out, and her books are to die for." My smile widened. "She has a book called Nobody But You – her name is Taylor Jade. Mom doesn't believe in ordering anything from Amazon, but can you order it for your store so I can finally get a copy?"

I nodded, pulling out my phone to make a note. "I will do it this evening. If she has other books—"

"She does!" the younger girl beamed.

I laughed. "I will definitely order them for you as well, and I'll put a small stock up on the shelves as well, so if any of your other friends want them, they're available."

"Oh, my God – thank you!"

She threw her arms around my shoulders. Panic clawed at my throat. Max barked, moving between us at the same time Chase jumped up from his chair, gently pulling the girl back from me.

Max laid his paws on my lap and pushed his face against mine as I tried to suck some air into my lungs. I wound my arms around him, digging my fingers into his fur. "I'm okay, boy," I whispered, my heart still knocking crazily against my chest.

"I'm so sorry," the girl profusely apologized, looking thoroughly freaked out. I swallowed thickly, tears suddenly burning in my eyes. I hated feeling like a freak, and right then, I could feel the eyes of everyone in that restaurant on me.

"It's okay," I told her, trying to give her a smile, though I knew it looked extremely forced. I stood up on shaky legs, and Max pressed his body to my side. I latched onto his harness. "Can we reschedule?" I asked Chase.

He nodded, understanding in his eyes. Swallowing thickly, I quickly walked out of the restaurant. I bit back my tears, forcing a smile on my face for Jamie as I told her goodnight and began to close up the shop.

I was about to lock the front door when Chase appeared, two carryout containers in his hands. He gave me a small smile.

"I thought eating without a crowd of people would be more preferable," he said quietly.

Oh, dear God, my heart.