Chan-Young x Reader

It's another day at the stadium, which means it's another day of boredom.

Oh, there are things to do around here, sure. If you don't mind being ordered around by soldiers who stand behind you with a scowl on their face and remind you that the only reason you're even there is because of their good will, you'll find a job to do. Cleaning a corner of the stadium, probably, in hopes that someone will be able to live there — as if there were enough mattresses — or doing the inventory, again, while looking the other way when rations mysteriously go missing and everyone knows who's doing the taking.

Thing is, you've never been one to grovel. In fact, back in the Before days, you were the one giving the orders. Youngest assistant coach for the Doosan bears, the Seoul baseball team, you were in line to become the youngest coach in the history of the country. And, yeah, you weren't completely in charge, but you were trusted. You had responsibilities. People knew to take you seriously.

You've had ideas for how to run this place more efficiently, to avoid making the civilians feel like they're second-rate citizens, but it's been made clear to you that you weren't welcome to make suggestions. So you haven't bothered, lately, but you also won't play in that stupid game, where people get to change the rules without telling you.

It means that you do a lot of aimless walking around in the stadium. Chief Ji implicitly lets you roam around, a testament to the fact that you knew each other well back in the days, when you used to bring her coffee before big games, but you mostly try to make yourself useful in the way soldiers haven't bothered accounting for.

A lot of that means keeping an eye on kids that are left to themselves otherwise. Their parents are busy, and it's not like there's much to do for them, here, so you try to keep them entertained. Unfortunately, you're no teacher, meaning that it's a lot of physical activities, wherever you find enough place. Other days, people who are teachers take over for you. That is the case today, meaning you'd have the day 'off', if it weren't for Yeong-Su not showing up for class.

You don't personally think he should have to attend class. You know how mean the other kids can be to him, and though the teachers don't do much in the name of keeping the peace, you don't let that fly when you're in charge. Which is probably why the kid never misses your classes, a small pride that you keep well tucked in your heart.

Still, the teachers insist that you make sure he's okay, so you agree to go try and find him. He knows the stadium well, meaning it will be no easy task.

You end up finding him throwing a ball against a wall. It looks like he's practicing his aim, you think when you notice that he's drawn a square on it. You're about to approach him, maybe give him a few pointers, when a particularly hard throw has the ball bouncing too high and it crashes through a window, finishing outside of the stadium.

You freeze. Monsters don't approach the stadium much — it's been months since there's been a case of that happening.

But the mere thought of there being something open here still has your heart pounding with fear. It's only a few seconds before you compose yourself, but that's long enough for someone to come running. You rush towards Yeong-Su, prepared to fiercely defend him if you need to.

It's Chan-Young, and you relax, even if your heart is now pounding for a whole other reason.

"What happened here?" he asks.

He may have been running with his whole equipment, but he shows no sign of being out of breath.

"I'm sorry," Yeong-Su mumbles. He's hard to handle, especially these days, but he clearly respects Chan-Young a lot. "I didn't mean to— I was just practicing and—"