Seraphina's lips curled into a subtle smile, appreciating the audacity that promised to infuse the upcoming Hunger Games with an element of unpredictability.

However, right next to her, Coriolanus jumped up out of his seat in shock; his eyes trained on Lucy Gray.

Coriolanus' shock was so palpable, that Seraphina's amusement transformed into a touch of concern.

In a swift and instinctive move, she reached out, her fingers closing around Coriolanus' arm.

The touch was not just a physical gesture but a subtle reminder, urging him to sit back down to navigate the unexpected with the composed demeanor that defined Capitol elegance.

Once Lucy Gray reached the stage, the mayor made a beeline for the girl tribute and struck her in the face so powerfully that she was knocked to her knees.

He had raised his hand to hit her again, when a couple of the Peacekeepers intervened, grabbing his arms and attempting to redirect him to the business at hand.

When he resisted, they hauled him back into the Justice Building, bringing the whole proceeding to a standstill.

Attention shifted to the girl on the stage.

As the camera zoomed in on her, Coriolanus was not reassured about Lucy Gray Baird's sanity.

Lucy Gray's lower lip trembled slightly and her eyes shone with tears that threatened to spill over.

"Don't cry," Coriolanus whispered.

Seraphina's emerald gaze instantly snapped towards Coriolanus as he whispered those seemingly empathetic words to the distressed Lucy Gray.

The subtle tremble of Lucy Gray's lip and the glistening tears in her eyes created a tableau of vulnerability, a stark contrast to the calculated theatrics often associated with the Hunger Games.

However, as Seraphina side-eyed Coriolanus, detecting a nuance of genuine concern in his voice, her eyebrows arched imperceptibly.

The Capitol's elites were well-versed in the art of feigned empathy, a facade that Coriolanus himself had mastered.

The unexpected flicker of compassion in his words raised an internal query in Seraphina's mind.

Yet, quick to dismiss any hint of sincerity, Seraphina chose to interpret Coriolanus' words through the lens of self-interest.

In her estimation, his concern for Lucy Gray was merely an extension of his overarching ambition to secure victory in the Hunger Games, to present himself as a mentor capable of shaping tributes into formidable contenders.

The side-eye lingered for a fleeting moment before Seraphina, ever the adept manipulator, redirected her attention to the unfolding drama on the screens.

The nuanced dynamics between the mentors and tributes, a delicate dance of power, played out in the Capitol's relentless pursuit of entertainment and influence.

In the grand tapestry of Capitol politics, where alliances and allegiances were as transient as the changing of the seasons, Seraphina wielded her skepticism with finesse.

As the tributes faced the daunting prospect of the Hunger Games, she, too, played her part in the intricate ballet of power, her emerald eyes revealing only what she deemed necessary.

Just as Lucy Gray was about to lose her battle with the tears, a strange thing happened.

From somewhere in the crowd, a voice began to sing. A young voice, which might belong to either a boy or a girl, but of such a pitch that it carried across the silent square.