"I didn't have much of a choice," Cato responded, "Why am I here exactly?"

"Coin believes it's time for you to stop messing around," Beetee explained, causing Cato to roll his eyes, "And she thinks you'd do well with some more training."

"What? So she can use me in her war?" Cato spat back with an empty laugh. Beetee only shook his head in response.

"You'd do best to learn that this war is not just hers anymore. We are all a part of it whether you like it or not," Beetee advised, "And if I were you, I'd stay on Coin's good side. Because that's the only way you're getting Celeste back." 

Cato's jaw clenched as he glanced at the ground. Beetee was right. If Cato wanted Celeste back, he needed to play by Coin's rules. Even if he didn't want to.

"What do you need me to do?" Cato begrudgingly asked, causing Beetee to smile as he led Cato over to his workstation.

"Now, I know you usually work with swords, so I handcrafted you a new one that you can use for close contact," Beetee began, handing Cato a gloriously detailed sword. Cato stared in awe as he gripped one again, the first time since the games.

"But, it may not be the most helpful for missions. You do know how to use a gun, right?" Beetee finished, placing the sword back on its stand and moving over toward an array of assault rifles. Though Cato was familiar with the guns Peacekeepers used, the ones on the table were much more advanced. Cato assumed that was Beetee's doing. 

"My father taught me back in 2. But it's been a while," Cato answered, remembering the way his father would take him to the woods and force him to shoot until his ears rang.

"Good. You can practice here, make sure you're still able to shoot. I'm sure Gale would be willing to help you if it seems you need it," Beetee replied, gesturing toward a practice dummy. Cato rolled his eyes at Beetee's claim. He may not have practiced in a while, but there was no way he was going to need help from the boy from 12.

"I've got this," Cato cut in, picking up one of the rifles and heading toward the dummy. He took a few moments to get a feel for the gun, examining the differences, before getting into position. And with one deep breath, Cato shot.

Bullseye.

He still had it.

-

At dinner, Cato found himself thinking of his time in the laboratory. After the first games, Cato assumed he would never have to pick up a weapon again. And while it was the only thing he was good at, he was relieved.

But then, the Quarter Quell happened and he was forced to do it all over again. And even now, as he's in District 13, he can't escape the violence. It was a part of him, no matter how much he wanted to escape it.

Even after years of no practice, Cato found himself back where he started; brutal, bloody Cato. 

"What are you thinking about?" Katniss suddenly spoke, interrupting Cato's thoughts.

"I went to go see Beetee today," Cato answered, causing Katniss to raise her eyebrows in intrigue, "He says Coin wants me to join her military unit."

"And do you want to?" Katniss asked.

"Do I have a choice?" Cato replied with a sneer.

"I guess not."

"I need to get Celeste out," Cato continued, "And to do that, I need to stay on Coin's good side."

"Just make sure you're careful, Cato," Katniss warned in a low voice so only Cato could hear, "I'm not so sure District 13 is much different from the Capitol."

Cato looked at Katniss in shock. Sure, District 13 was strict, but was it really like the Capitol?

"Why do you say that?" Cato asked, causing Katniss to lean closer.

"I found out that they've been keeping my prep team here," Katniss whispered, "But when I found them, they were in terrible condition and practically unrecognizable. I asked why they were being held captive like this and it turns out, it was all over stolen bread."

Cato's eyes widened in shock as he stared at Katniss. Bread? Did they really imprison them over bread?

"Are you serious?" Cato asked Katniss, who nodded her head.

"It was terrible. I'll never get that image or that smell out of my mind," Katniss whispered.

"I don't trust this place, Cato. And neither should you," Katniss warned, "We need careful."

"I intend to be. At least until I get  Celeste back."

-

A/N: Hi guys !! Happy Wednesday,,,, I hope you enjoy this chapter !! It's going to start picking up a lot more soon, I promise !! And then hopefully we'll get to see Celeste again. I'm definitely missing writing her :( But, I hope you guys are enjoying Cato's perspective as well !! He's also kind of interesting to write.

 Anyways, have a really good week !! I'll make sure to get an update out next week as well !! same time !!! Happy holidays to those who celebrate as well !!

Love you guys, Hannah <#