18: Lukewarm Coffee, Honesty and A Mole Trap

Start from the beginning

"You'll live." Hoseok chuckled, brushing a hand through Hyungwon's hair gently before heading for the door. The younger just stared after the man, swallowing lightly. When the door fell shut he set down the coffee mug and brought two fingers to his neck, feeling his pulse. Biting his tongue he shook his head. "I need to stop drinking caffeine so much..." he muttered, turning back to the papers before frowning.

Grabbing a stapled stack he flipped through it quickly before just tossing it aside. "This is useless," he muttered, taking out his phone. It wasn't like there was any more interesting stuff on there either, but reading the news would give him the sufficient break he needed.

After some time, the office door opened again, this time without a knock. "You just missed him," Hyungwon said, keeping his eyes on the phone whilst reaching for the coffee to take a sip. "Okay. So where did he go?" Kihyun's voice grated his ears but the leader just shrugged, taking another sip. Immediate regret ran through his body as the now lukewarm liquid hit his mouth. How long had he been doing nothing? 

Clearing his throat, Hyungwon set down the mug. "Shownu called him, so... Go figure.." He didn't get a verbal response, only a low grumble of curses. For once Hyungwon could say he was glad he wasn't alone in his immense displeasure.

"Is this how you spend your free time?" The phone was suddenly grabbed from his hand and set, tossed, onto the desk which made Hyungwon look up from his now empty palm to meet Yoo's gaze. "You're supposed to keep an eye on him." he huffed, crossing his arms. The leader made a face. "What is he? A child?" he retorted, shaking his head a little bit. He wasn't here to babysit another grown man. "You can probably find him on the floor where your men are."

"Do you have to act so insufferable?" Kihyun then scoffed, practically glaring at the younger. If they weren't tied to a contract, Hyungwon guessed his brain would be painting the room red. "I'm just matching the energy," he replied calmly, although he was just as annoyed at the interaction.

"Listen, you can either walk away, because I am simply not in the fucking mood for this today, or we can act like adults until Shin comes back," Hyungwon stated, setting down the now empty mug with a heavy thunk. Kihyun's jaw tightened, clearly holding back some insults but thankfully, he made the smart decision to shut up and walk over to Hoseok's desk.

"Besides, why do I have to keep an eye on him? It's weird if you can't trust your boss to do the right thing." Hyungwon spoke up when the other stayed silent. There was a bitter chuckle before the man spoke up. "Well, he made a shit decision that he purposely tried to hide from us, so... Pardon me if I am a little on edge right now." he paused, sitting down. He then crossed his arms, narrowing his eyes at the leader. "Besides you wire trapped him."

Hyungwon couldn't help the small grin that appeared on his face. "That is totally different," he stated with a slight chuckle. "How so?" Kihyun spun the chair to face him. "We're talking about a man who, just a while back, would have jumped at the opportunity to screw me over in an instant, Yoo. But you've worked with him for... How long, now?" he stated, amused by the childish argument. At least it would distract him for a bit.

"Well..." Kihyun inhaled sharply through his nose. "I guess you're right, asshole." he then muttered to which Hyungwon just hummed slightly. Of course, he was right; why wouldn't he be?

An awkward silence fell into the office and Hyungwon on reflex reached for some more papers to flip through just to distract himself. "Hey, uh.." Kihyun started up, clearing his throat. "I never said this, but I'm sorry for your loss. I know we didn't know him for long but the guy was important to you." the words came out of the blue which made Hyungwon pause momentarily.