chapter 3

At three o'clock Andrea, Summer, and Margot could finally check into the rental the two Torres women were staying in. Andy's father rented her a separate place. He knew that she liked to have her own space so he rented the teenager a small apartment next to the beach. She knew he was thinking about buying it.

The first to enter was Summer, as soon as she looked around she said: "Respect, Margot. This is a legit party house."

"Mm-hm. Everything else was booked out." Her mother responded. "And there is a strict no-party policy."

"Well, how else are we going to celebrate when I make the team?"

"Well, you crashed Poppy's final, so try the top of their blacklist."

"I really wish you'd seen me, Ma. Instead of sitting in the car, working."

"I'm sure you were great. But, Summer, if you genuinely want to be a competitive surfer, there is a right way to do things and a wrong way. The surf industry likes to paint themselves as a bunch of system-bucking rebels, but, honey, believe me, they're not going to fall over themselves for some rookie who rips up their rule book. Especially a young woman."

"Things have changed since you were on tour, Ma."

At that Andrea that has silently been checking the fridge to give them a moment, finally chimed in: "Yeah, they're sexist as fuck."

"Andrea!" The older woman got annoyed.

"What? It's true! The surfing industry is mostly run by white straight men. Like everything, by the way. Sorry, Summer."

Going back to what her daughter said Margot responded: "Well, it was still this millennium. Come on. Let's just have fun for the next couple of weeks."

"You mean, couple of months."

"Well, that was when we thought you had a shot at Nationals, so... Well, you've got school. Let's just be realistic."

With that, she left the two teenagers alone in the kitchen.

"I hate being realistic." Murmured Summer.

"Look Summer, I know it's not ideal but at least you got to come. C'mon, you'll find a way to stay longer. You always do, and as always I'll help you."

"Thanks, Andy"

—————————

The two friends were in a car. Andrea was driving with one arm on the open window, while Summer was sitting in the passenger seat directing her to Ari's house.

"Ok, but I still don't get why we are going there? You got some evil plot to break Ari and Wren up? Seduce him while she's not there?"

"What? No! I would never do that! Look I just want to catch up and maybe if Wren's there apologize for stealing her heat. You know? Besides Ari seems happy with her, I don't want to ruin that, alright?"

"I'm not judging. Ok? We've all been there. Ghosting our boyfriend-girlfriend-themfriend and yet still expecting them to be ready for you a year later." She told her sarcastically.

"Andy!"

Andrea turned away from the road for a few seconds to look at her friend from underneath her sunglasses.
"Look Summer, whatever you do I will support you, but I don't want to see you hurt. Wren is not someone you want to go against, she fights dirty and she always gets what she wants."

"Weren't you two, like, best friends?"

"No, we weren't. I don't know why she would say that. Sure, we knew each other, but we weren't friends. The guy with pink hair, you know, the one that helped you?" When Andrea saw the other girl nod she continued. "He was my best friend, not her."