THEY ARE CALLED 'WEIRD' FETISHES FOR A REASON

Start from the beginning

"I didn't know that you guys were on texting basis"

"Well, we are not really texting per se. We were just talking about my calculus test script that I got back today." I said as I put my phone down to focus on Sammy.

She regarded me with a suspicious look.

"I didn't know that talking about calculus lightened up your face like that. The last time you talked about it you were grunting and all teary." She said and I did not miss the mocking tone in her voice.

"Hand it over," she said as she approached me with her hand extended. "I want to see all these funny jokes about calculus for myself, maybe they will brighten my day too." She added sarcastically.

"Really now?" I tried to keep a straight face but couldn't help the corners of my lips that lifted up in a smile as I reluctantly handed her my phone.

She typed in the password and started scrolling.

"Oh my word, you guys are definitely flirting!" she exclaimed as she continued to scroll.

"You would have to be really dumb not to realize it, and we both know you are not dumb. So spill the tea, what's really going on between you two?" she demanded.

"Well, first of all we are not flirting. Malakai is just a weirdo and he texts like one too," I responded feebly.

"Secondly, I can't flirt with him even if I wanted to. They have this strict rule with Siba that they don't date or mess around with each other's friends." I added.

"Well, I would love to see you try to explain this conversation to Siba." Sammy said lifting my phone in her hand

"What do you mean? it's all harmless" I said looking at her confused.

"Oh really? Let's see" She scoffed as she scrolled through the messages.

"Exhibit one, 'Are you going to make it a habit to run into me every morning in your pjs? Because the view is amazing and I am not complaining'" she read the text out loud.

Okay, it kind of sounds dirty when she reads it like that.

"or this one, 'why are you not in the guest room?'" she continued.

"Why was he looking for you in the guest room in the first place?"

"Well, I can explain. Once you know the context of what happened before he sent all that you will understand," I said defensively trying to explain myself.

She raised her hands and said, "I am just saying babes. You might not be flirting with him, but he is definitely flirting with you."

She handed back my phone and took her toiletry bag and made her way to the bathroom.

"Plus, don't forget how you guys met, he had always been interested in you from day one and never tried to hide it." She added as she disappeared into the bathroom leaving me confused.

Okay, maybe we have been talking more than necessary recently since I gave him my phone number for him to send me some of the study material via WhatsApp.

It had started off strictly calculus related. I would sometimes video call him when he was too busy to meet in person, and he would patiently explain to me step by step how to solve a question I am struggling with. He is that patient and generous with his time and I am bewildered all the time! Like, what sorcery is this?  Because some of us seem to be lacking in both all the time since we started uni.

But since I have been spending so much time at their house, we had interacted enough to be comfortable around each other, so much that some of the conversations I had with him naturally overflowed over to the chat.