Chapter 1 | Evan's Nightmares

Evan shot up in his bed, his breaths heavy. As he looked around his dark room, he searched for his night-light that Y/N had bought for his last birthday. She knew of his chronic nightmares, and thought having a light would be helpful for him.

Well, it helped when he was awake.

Just not when he fell asleep.

Rubbing his eyes, he felt the tears already streaming down his face.

Not again, he thought.

Taking a deep breath, Evan tried to think of the techniques his mother had taught him.

"What are some things you know for sure? Whether it's where you are, what your name is, or just the year, say it out loud. Your mind will know you're okay."

Sitting up on the edge of his bed while bracing his hands on the side, Evan recited, "My name is Evan Lee Afton. I am in my house, which is in Hurricane, Utah. The year is 1982. I am seven years old. I have three siblings. I am the youngest of my siblings. My oldest sister is Y/N. My brother is Michael. My other sister is Elizabeth."

It started to work. His breaths were steadying out, the tears beginning to fall slower. 

Evan continued reciting things he knew. "My mom is a nurse. She helps people when they get hurt. My dad owns a restaurant with Uncle Henry."

A large deep breath. 

As the rushing of his blood in his ears began to subside, he tried listening for sounds in the house.

His dad was snoring.

Michael shuffled in his blankets before once again falling silent.

Elizabeth's cassette of nature sounds could be heard if he strained.

As always, there was almost no noise behind Y/N's door, but her light was on.

Evan paused only for a moment, which was to check the time.

2:14 am. He had only been asleep for about 2 hours before his night terrors awoke him again.

Trying to keep his steps as silent as possible, he padded over to his older sister's door. Knocking quietly, trying to not wake his father and mother (who were in the bedroom across the hall from Y/N), he attempted to get her attention.

When there was no response, Evan slowly opened the door, clutching his trustworthy bear plushie.

"Evan?" Y/N was sitting on her bed, surrounded by sketchbooks and homework assignments with assorted pencil shavings. "Are you okay? You're crying."

Evan sniffled, and gripped his bear a bit more tightly. "It happened," he mumbled.

"A nightmare?"

He nodded.

"Is it about Fredbear and Bonnie?"

He started to nod, but shook his head right after.

Y/N had a slight frown on her face. "Alright, come here, tell me about it."

When Evan was younger, he mostly went straight to his mother to tell him about the nightmares he had. But when Clara had become quite worried about Evan's chronic nightmares about her husband's animatronic creations, Evan stopped going to her, instead trusting his oldest sister to keep his secrets.

As Evan clambered onto Y/N's bed, she got a spare blanket and wrapped it around her brother and waited for him to explain what happened.

Taking a deep breath before speaking, Evan explained his nightmare. "I dreamed I was in my room, but my room had two doors. I had to run back and forth between the doors to keep Fredbear from getting me."

Y/N cocked her head to one side. "Bonnie wasn't there?"

"No. He never is."

She nodded, and wrapped her arms around her brother. "I really am sorry these nightmares keep happening to you."

Evan sniffed. "It isn't your fault."

"I know. But if it makes you feel better, I used to have nightmares about Fredbear and Bonnie almost every night when I was around your age."

Evan looked up at his sister. "Have they stopped?"

Y/N smiled. "They have. I think it just has to do with being a bit younger."

He scowled. "I'm not that young! I shouldn't have these nightmares!"

Y/N sighed, "It wasn't just me who had them, Michael had them, too. But his were a bit different than mine. I saw Fredbear and Bonnie, and he just saw Fredbear. Just like you."

Evan sniffed, and grabbed a tissue to blow his nose. "Can I just stay with you tonight? I don't want to talk about my nightmares anymore."

"Of course. Let's get you settled."