mirror, mirror

The wind continued to pick up as Blaineley disappeared into the woods.

"We should really find our way back to the cabins!"

Mike shouted over the rain. Zoey was still on the ground. She had gotten soaked and started shivering. Anne-Maria was touching her hair nervously. Some of the others agreed with Mike, but most of them stood still in shock. The group continued to wander. The cabins seemed unreachable as if they had disappeared completely.

"God! We're lost!"

Dakota cried out. Brick spotted moss on one of the pine trees and sped over to it.

"You see, in ROTC training, we learned that moss only gross on the north side of the tree so -"

Cameron interrupted.

"Brick, that's not factual proven."

Brick cheeks flushed.

"Well, I-"

Lightning spotted something behind the trees.

"Yall see that?"

He pointed over to an obscure cave lingering in the distance.

"Sha-boom! Shelter found!"

He directed the group over. Dakota felt her goosebumps form I'm her arms. She whispered quietly to Sam.

"It's better than the rain, I guess.."

She seemed as though she was trying to convince herself of her own statement. Mike tried to keep optimistic after the trauma inducing scene earlier.

"This is - uh, great!"

He flashed an awkward smile and peered around at the cave. His shirt was dripping from the rain. He looked down at it. He then looked up and saw some of the others ringing out their outer layers. He plopped down, then unconsciously took it off. Zoey watched at Mike shoulders squared up, and his hair smoothed back. Zoey saw Mike point past her to Anne-Maria.

" 'Ay girl, get on over here."

Anne-Maria peered around suspiciously as to see if he was pointing to anyone else. She was curious and strutted over. Mike started.

"Names Vito, and yours, gorgeous?"

Vito continued to flirt with Anne-Maria as the others looked up in disgust. They all knew this was not the time or place to be making moves. Cameron emailed this new Alter. Everyone started to lay down to get some sleep. Jo's stomach growled, and she grabbed at it. Hopefully, they will get food soon. Zoey felt a sense of anger inside of her, but she didn't know why. She watched as Anne-Maria got closer to 'Mike.' Anne-Maria had a smile on her face she felt comforted in the mess that filled the past day. A shimmer of light glittered in the corner, and she whipped her head around. She pulled away from Vito as she felt an unbreakable force dragging her towards it. She needed whatever was glimmering on the cold, hard ground. Anne-Maria felt as though she couldn't go a moment without it in her hands. She got closer and bent down. The mirror filled her hands with a wave of coolness. She felt the distinct molding on the back. Dakota was intrigued by the small hand-held mirror. She moved by Anne-Maria and stood beside her.

"It's so beatiful,, I wonder what such a pretty thing is doing in a cave,"

She reached out to touch the mirror. Anne-Maria hissed at her and pulled away.

"Don't touch it!"

She screamed. Her breath started to quicken as she backed up against the interior cave wall.

"All of you! Stay away from it!"

Cameron examined the extreme mood change. But this was nothing like Mike's DID. It was something stranger, scarier. It was as if Anne-Maria had entirely faded away, and a new face stood before them. Jo seemed confused. Sure, Anne-Maria wasn't the nicest person, but she didn't seem like the tip to act like this.

"Anne Maria, what's wrong with -"

Jo's words were cut off.

"Go away!"

Anne-Maria screamed. Alejandro tried to reason with the group.

"Uh- we should just- leave her be... it's been a long day.."

Scott began to grin at Anne-Maria.

"Tan-in-a-can's gone insane! Oh god, we're all gonna go mad on this stupid island."

He dragged out the last few words.

"I think we all need rest -"

Alejandro continued. The others agreed, and some were already dozing off. No one seemed to question Anne-Maria's behavior except for Cameron. He endlessly watched her throughout the night, and he finally drifted off. Anne-Maria glazed into the mirror, admiring herself.

"I won't let them take you from me."

"ᶦ ʷᵒⁿ'ᵗ ˡᵉᵗ ᵗʰᵉᵐ ᵗᵃᵏᵉ ʸᵒᵘ ᶠʳᵒᵐ ᵐᵉ."

A small voice repeated behind her. She whipped around to find the source.

"Who said that?"

"ʷʰᵒ ˢᵃᶦᵈ ᵗʰᵃᵗ?"

The voice continued to mimick her. Anne-Maria aggravated easily, her grip tensing on the mirror.

"Stop doing that!"

"ˢᵗᵒᵖ ᵈᵒᶦⁿᵍ ᵗʰᵃᵗᵎ"

Her heart picked up the pace. She felt her hands grow sweaty. Suddenly, the voice spoke her thoughts before she could speak.

"ʸᵒᵘ ᵃʳᵉ ⁿᵒᵗ ᵐᵉᵎ"

Anne-Maria tried to speak again but was unable to. The voice was stealing her thoughts and her words.

"ᶦ ʷᶦˡˡ ᶠᶦⁿᵈ ʸᵒᵘ."

She felt a heavy hand press down upon her shoulder. Anne-Maria gazed into the mirror and saw him. The last thing she ever saw. A faceless man standing behind her.

ᶦ ᵃᵐ ʸᵒᵘ.

t̶̡̧̩̘̬̱͕̓͐̊͛̓͌̇͑̏̓̑͗́̆h̴̼̰̟̫̼̙̗̯̞̟͕̊͆̂͆̓̔͂͋̈̏̔i̷̠̗͛͑̓̽̀̈́͑̎̈̋̓̈̔͘͘͜s̵̗̥̯͓͕̬̟̠̆̄̈̇̑̀̿̀ ̶̡̥́̊̐̚ī̵̡͔͇͕̖͉͇͔̗s̶̹̭͙̀̂̈̾̔͜͜͝ ̷̳̲̬̻̥͕͇̞͈̒́͛̉w̴̨̡̭̻̘͇͈̐̍̓̇̿̂̈́h̵̠̥̻̬̳̔̔͂̿̀̕͝ä̷̲̙͙͉̩͔͎̼͓͋͋̍̈́͂̚͜͝t̸̯̮̜̭̹̬̑̿͊ ̸̟̬͎͉͒̌͒̈͛́̄́̕̕ẇ̵̖̼̙͚͙͍̼̙͍̠̫͜͝a̷̻̦͛͂̀̐s̵͖̹͈̠̬͉̫̫͙̲̤̜̋̓̀͑̇͆̽̀͜ ̵̊͜b̴̲̎͛̒̀̇͐̓̀̌͌̽̈̕̚ȩ̴̨̗͚͖͒͝ͅs̸̡̨̻̝̥̺̖͙͙̮̳̩̱̝̬̓͗̉t̵̨̹̠̣̔͌̓̐͂̈́̈́̎̀̊̈́̈́̕͜͝ ̶̘̥̖̐̿̑̈́̆̾͒͆͊́̏͑̌f̶̢͉̝̯̬̰̙͎̮͉̲͖̀̅̕͝o̶̦̠͕͙̘̘͆́̃̇̃̃̉̀̃̕̚͜͝͝r̴̡͍͙̦̪̘̘̈́̿̐͌̋ ̴̝̥̗̲̰̌͐̓̓͊͛͒̓̆́̇̄y̷̛̛̫̤͓̻̲̑̈́̇͋͑̉̐̕ǫ̸̢̦̙͓͙͇͙̖̣͉̈̆̎͊̓̀̔͋ṷ̷͉̘̔̎͛͐.̵̫̰̟̠̮̤͍̦͍̱̣̲̄͗̽̅̍̐̏̏̒̉̌͊͂̚ͅ