The Blackhurst Legacy

1999

1999

The old Tudor-style house creaked and groaned as a bitter winter wind whistled through its cracks and crannies. 85-year-old Edward Pierce stared out the frosty window into the darkness, memories of that fateful night flooding back. A firm knock on the heavy oak door jolted him from his thoughts.

Pulling his sweater tighter, he opened the door to a tall brunette in her early 30s, her cheeks flushed from the cold. "Mr. Pierce?" she asked, extending a gloved hand. "I'm Anna Bell, from the Herald. We spoke on the phone about the Blackhurst Estate?"

"Ah, yes." Edward murmured, slowly ushering her inside.

Shaking off her wool coat, Anna set her report’s notepad and recorder on the coffee table by the fireplace where embers still smoldered. She smoothed her knee-length tweed skirt and adjusted the collar of her turtleneck as she sat on the sofa. Edward lowered himself into the armchair across from her, wincing slightly.

"Thank you for agreeing to speak with me." She said earnestly. "As I mentioned, I've been investigating the disappearances at the Blackhurst Estate back in 1960. Five security guards, vanished without a trace while guarding the property one night. You were the only survivor. What really happened that night, Mr. Pierce?" 

Edward gazed past her, spectacles reflecting the firelight. After a weighty sigh, he leaned forward and began his tale...

 After a weighty sigh, he leaned forward and began his tale

Summer 1960

20-year-old Edward stumbled through the wrought iron gates of the Blackhurst Estate, late as usual for his security shift. The sprawling mansion loomed against the night sky - once an asylum for the criminally insane, it had been abandoned for almost a century before a construction firm decided to convert it to upscale apartments.

Renovations had been delayed indefinitely though after a series of tragic accidents. Edward and four other guards were installed onsite to secure the location until work could resume. 

Jogging through overgrown gardens, Edward entered the derelict complex. Peeling wallpaper, dust everywhere, random pieces of furniture strewn about - the interior matched the gloomy facade. A maze of corridors and rooms interconnected by creaky staircases.