"I would follow you anywhere," he said. "But Nepal?"

Astoria laughed.

"Well, there are no apples there," she said, playfully, approaching him. She brought the fruit to her lips, without biting it. "Don't you really want some?"

He stared at her, thinking quickly about how to continue the game, but suddenly his eyes widened, and he swatted the apple, knocking it to the ground.

"Draco!"

"Do not eat it! Look!" he pointed behind her, towards the house-elf Kali, who was lying on the ground, fainted.

"Kali!" Astoria ran to the house-elf and took her into her arms. The half-eaten apple rolled on the floor, and white foam came out of the house-elf's mouth. "They have poisoned her!"

Draco took charge of the situation.

"To Slughorn's house, quickly!"

***

An hour later, Draco tried to come to terms with what had happened. He would never have lifted a finger to come to the aid of a house house-elf, and he would have cared little about what happened to them, but Kali was different. Kali was important to Astoria. She had cared for her, and worried about her, and Draco was convinced that his wife would suffer greatly if anything happened to the house-elf. So, when he saw Kali under the effects of poison, he didn't think twice, and appeared with the two of them in front of his former teacher's house.

Slughorn was also slow to react when they entered his house and Draco practically forced him to heal the house-elf. Obviously, the professor had never been in a similar situation either.

The problem was solved with a bezoar and a sleeping potion, and as Kali fell asleep in Astoria's arms, Draco sent a patronus to warn his father.

"Boy, what happened?" Slughorn asked, still puzzled.

"Someone gave Astoria a basket of poisoned apples. Kali ate one and—"

"Someone wanted to poison Astoria? Who?"

"I don't know. But they knew it would work, apparently everyone knows Astoria loves to eat apples."

At that moment, a greenish glow in the next room indicated that someone had used floo powder to enter the house. Seconds later, Lucius Malfoy joined them.

"Is Astoria okay? Have you managed to save her?" was the first thing he asked. The fact that he had been so quick to inquire about the state of Astoria indicated that he took the young woman's safety very seriously.

"She is fine, father. It was the house-elf who was poisoned," Draco explained.

"The house-elf? Has all this been because of a house-elf?" Lucius asked, disdainfully. He wrinkled his aristocratic nose contemptuously.

"The apples were for Astoria. If Kali hadn't eaten one, it would be Astoria who would be in mortal danger right now," Draco responded, a little angry. A part of him reminded him not to make such a fuss over a house-elf, but what the hell! It was Kali they were talking about.

"Mr. Malfoy, this is a very serious matter. It is very possible that the house-elf saved the girl's life," Slughorn intervened, prudently. He felt intimidated by Lucius.

"Lucius?" Astoria had come when she heard their voices. Mr. Malfoy's expression changed completely when he saw her, and he came to her side.

"How are you? I heard what happened."

"I'm fine, I didn't get to try any," Astoria was very pale, but maintained her composure. "Draco realized what was happening in time."

"I give you my word that I will not stop until I find who is behind this," he said, vehemently.

"Thank you very much, Lucius, but you don't need to go to so much trouble."

"On the contrary. As soon as it is known that you are still alive, they will try again," Lucius took her hands". You are now part of the family, and your well-being and safety is everyone's priority. We won't let them hurt you again."

Astoria was moved by this, and Draco thought he would never be able to thank his father for that gesture. He had forgotten that Lucius had a deep sense of duty towards his family, and if Astoria was in danger, he would not stop until he found the culprit and punished them appropriately. In fact, neither Narcissa nor Draco would sit idly by in that situation.

"It would be useful to know what kind of poison they used," Slughorn commented. "It could help find the culprit. If I could analyze the pulp of the apples..."

"I'll send them to you as soon as I can," Draco assured him.

"Listen to me carefully," Lucius warned the young people. "From now on you must be as careful as possible. Do not leave Greengrass Castle and watch everything you eat and drink."

"Kali tasted all of our food," Astoria said.

"Then you must replace her with another house-elf. Don't eat anything without making sure it's not dangerous. Don't touch any object that you have not seen before in your rooms."

"But that is impossible! "Draco protested. "Wedding gifts keep coming."

"Then destroy them or put them all in a basement. Anything could contain a hidden curse or poison dart."

"It would be a good idea to carry a bezoar on hand," Slughorn suggested. "It could save their lives."

"It's a good idea," Lucius acknowledged. "Now you must return to the castle. The house-elf will remain here until she has recovered," he conceded. "You must not appear nervous, and you must act as if nothing had happened. The poisoner must not suspect that you have discovered the trap, so simply pretend that you have not seen the apples. Maybe that will give us a few more days of margin."

Lucius spoke with the experience of a former death eater. He had done a lot of dirty jobs throughout his life, and he knew how hitmen acted. Fortunately, he also knew how to defend himself against them.

So Draco and Astoria were forced to return to that castle that was beginning to become their prison. They didn't want to show it, but they were scared. What if next time they couldn't avoid misfortune?