5- Seduction

Beginne am Anfang

Draco didn't fully understand the implications of all this, but he could understand the seriousness of the matter. If his parents didn't believe him, there was nothing else he could do to help Astoria except go ahead with the general plan, hoping that at some point, he would come up with a way to solve the problem.

***

Draco returned to Malfoy Manor and pretended he had just woken up. The truth is that he hadn't slept a wink all night, but he sent for a strong coffee to hide it. As he drank it, he realized that a letter had arrived in his name from professor Slughorn.

Without wasting time, he unfolded the parchment and read it hastily. The professor had confirmed all of Draco's suspicions regarding the drug. It was called the Dream of Death, and it had been outlawed two centuries ago. It didn't explain how it was made, of course, but it coincided point by point with what he had seen.

"The drug produces immediate drowsiness, and the victim is immersed in a lethargic state very similar to a coma. An excess of this drug can cause death due to cardiorespiratory arrest, but this is not its greatest danger.

"Like most poisons, it has a cumulative effect, and its harmful substances remain in the organs. This means that the effects of the potion can be prolonged over time, even if it's been not longer taken.

"Unfortunately, it is a terribly addictive drug, so that whoever takes it must consume it periodically and without exception, even in small quantities, since withdrawal causes severe pain and great agony, which in extreme cases can lead to death."

Draco found his hands shaking, and he had to put the letter aside. He felt a knot in the bottom of his stomach. He had secretly hoped that Astoria and Kali were wrong or exaggerating, but this letter revealed to him that the matter was much more serious than it seemed. Astoria could never stop taking the poison, if she did, she would suffer intensely... but if she took it, she would die little by little.

Draco continued reading the letter. Slughorn recommended some books where he could expand his knowledge about this type of poison and the necessary antidotes, but Draco could barely remember the titles. He was very affected, and he was surprised to realize it.

He barely knew Astoria, and had only spoken to her twice, but he couldn't help but worry, and he didn't understand why. Was it because deep down he wasn't the callous bastard he appeared to be? Or because the girl's bravery had moved him more than he dared to admit? He remembered Astoria's face clearly. Her almost transparent eyes, her smile... and then he understood.

"She knows she's going to die," he whispered. "She's known all along."

At that moment there was a knock on the door to his room, and Draco hurried to put the letter away. Narcissa peeked out and smiled at him.

"Darling, you're finally awake," she greeted him. Draco tried to compose himself mentally. His mother was supposed to think he had slept at home, as always.

"Yes, mother, I wanted to sleep a little more," he excused himself.

"This morning I went to speak with earl Greengrass. I had to take the measurements for your future wife's ring," she smiled at him as if she wanted to make him part of a joke. Draco returned the smile, so as not to contradict her. "I'm glad you accepted the inevitable, darling," she said softly. "It's not worth worrying about something that has no solution."

"You're right, mother," he agreed.

"By the way, I received a letter from Pansy. She invites you to eat with her today."

"Pansy?"

"Come on, Draco, don't make that face. Pansy is still your fiancée, even if it's not official," Narcissa reminded him. "You must continue to maintain good relations with Parkinson's."