3.1

throughout carol's pregnancy, i've been her right hand woman. i've been there for her whenever she needed it but the one time i was called away to help another elf she went into
labor. my dad ran her to the hospital and i found bernard, grabbing his arm and running with the two. she was screaming a lot and we all squeezed into the the hospital and carol was heavily breathing, "honey, i'm afraid it was a false alarm." every groaned and left the hospital. i smiled at carol, "it's alright, you never know when a baby is coming. happened a lot with me." we all looked at rose who was strapped onto bernard's chest because it was his turn and we all laughed a little before leaving the hospital.

     bernard and i went into our room and put rose in her crib.i leaned over and kissed her forehead trying to get her to go to sleep. bernard smiled at us, "oh, i knew you'd make a grate mother." i shook my head with a smile and then slowly had rose fall asleep before curtis barged in and woke rose up.

     "curtis! what if we were naked?!" i jokingly said and picked rose up, bringing her over to her little play area and put her there and she immediately stopped crying when she had her favorite toy.

     curtis shook his head, "we need to warn santa that the production line is far behind." bernard smiled, loving how the responsibilities of head elf were thrown on curtis and not on him anymore. "curtis, i don't need to go everywhere with you, you're head elf now." bernard put a hand on curtis's shoulder and curtis nodded before leaving our room.

"he's really getting the hang of it." i said and bernard nodded. i left to go to the workshop and saw carol walking around and i was a bit confused, i ran over to her, bernard following closely behind. "carol, what are you doing?" i asked her and she grabbed a teddy.

"amazing technology. it's a duck. it quacks in three languages." my dad said and turned the duck on. "things can't help me right now, sweetheart. it's people that i need. you know, family. i mean, i've got meadow and rose. they love me and i love them like family."

"family? we are your family. right, elves? we're her family, right?" my dad looked around and all of the elves spoke in unison, "we love you mrs. claus." carol leaned over to whisper, "taller family. meadow is pretty tall so therefor, family. i guess bernard too."

i laughed a little and bernard glared at me, shutting me up. carol walked away and sat down. "human family." she started crying. "oh, sweetheart, anything but the tears."

"i'm sorry. it's an impossible situation. and if i didn't want to be with you so much, i would go home. but i can't have it both ways. i guess i just..." my dad had that look in his eyes, "wait a minute. hey, maybe you can."

"i can what?" carol looked a bit confused. "have it both ways. i can bring home here."

"you can?" carol asked.

"you can?!" curtis shouted.

"really?" i said with a smile.

"not really a good i-" i pinched bernard so that he would shut up. "carol, i'm gonna bring your parents up here." carol smiled, "my parents?"

"her parents?!" curtis really hated this idea.

"oh that's amazing!" i loved how considerate he was with carol.

"again, not-" i glared at bernard, "don't shoot it down." he sighed and nodded before we looked back at the two. the elves groaned and curtis shut them up, "elves! sir... the S.O.S."

"excuse me?" carol looked at my dad then back at curtis when he spoke again. "S.O.S. secret of santa. there could be dire consequences." bernard nodded, "curtis is right. the possibilities increase exponentially that the closely-guarded secret of the north pole's true location could be compromised." curtis added onto bernard's statement, "and christmas as we know it would cease to exist, crushing the hopes and dreams of the world's children and extinguishing the joy of santa's magic forever!" my eyes widened as i looked at the two, wondering how they're so perfect for each other. maybe they should be the ones who got married.

"there's that." my dad said after their rant. "he has a point. my parents can't keep a secret." carol said. "listen. listen, honey. the reason you came up here was because of me. i'm gonna do whatever it takes to make this right. i will. you know why? cause what do they say about santa?"

"he delivers!" all of the elves said at one time. "i still find that terrifying." i said and bernard nodded. "how are you gonna pull it off?" carol asked with a smile, "my parents think you're a toy maker in canada."

"how am i gonna pull this off? the answer is in the question. 'how are we going to do this? my dad thinks you're a toy maker in canada.' it's north, in north america, eh? vinegar on their french fries, they sit on their chesterfield to watch the hockey game. shoot the puck, daddy-o! come on everybody! elves, everybody listen up! grab your hammers, the in-laws are coming!" all of the elves ran around to get stuff and bernard, curtis, and i stood there.

"i think this is a great idea." curtis smiled and i scoffed, "yeah, last time you said that i got shoved in a random house almost freezing to death while a toy took over the north pole."

"this time it's going to be great, i promise!" curtis said and bernard sighed, "you also promised the last one would be great." curtis slapped bernard and before bernard could slap curtis i pulled him back to our room so we could check on rose.