2. Professionals

No matter how many times Lucy read Emmett's message, the words did not change.

He ended their engagement the day before their wedding via TEXT?

She forgot that she was at a New York Rangers versus L.A. Kings hockey game standing in a box. All that mattered was that her three year relationship with Emmett Lang was over right when she thought she was about to start the happily ever after phase of their lives together.

"Lucy? Lucy?" Tamara nudged her friend who was staring at her phone in horror. "What's wrong? If it's a tabloid rumor, you know you're supposed to ignore those. Hey, Lucy!"

There was a ringing in her ears that drowned out everything else, but when she felt someone shake her arm, Lucy finally looked up from her device. "What?"

"Did something happen?" Tamara wondered.

"I..," all she could manage was to hand her phone to Tamara, since she could not find the words.

"HOLY HELL!" Tamara gasped after reading the very simple message from Emmett. "He did NOT just do that!"

"We...how could he...I mean...we're engaged! We're-we're supposed to get MARRIED tomorrow morning. Emmett....," Lucy was struggling to speak.

"How could he do this to you? You're incredible. He's lucky."

"This can't be happening. I love him."

Despite the fact that Tamara never liked Emmett, she wanted to be supportive of her friend. "Let's go back to the hotel, eat tons of ice cream, and watch a movie."

"Good plan," Lucy agreed. Her hand was shaking as the rest of the world seemed to rush back into focus; she was in public and needed to escape.

"Ms. Chen, Tim Bradford would like for you to come to the locker room," a security guard said.

"Tim. Right, Tim," Lucy swallowed hard. She attended the game to support him, but the breakup message from Emmett truly stunned her.

"I'm afraid Ms. Chen needs to go, but tell him 'hello' from us," Tamara spoke to security on Lucy's behalf and then turned her friend towards the exit to lead her away.

On shaky legs, Lucy started walking, but then she paused. "Actually no, we'll go to the locker room, Can you take us there?" Something in her gut urged her to see Tim regardless of her emotional state.

Tamara was surprised by Lucy's decision, but was happy to follow her. Together, security escorted them through tunnels to the entrance of the locker room where hockey players started leaving with cameras and fans swarming them. They were lead inside where the men were different states of dress and undress since they were showering and changing.

A few shocked faces followed Lucy, since they could not believe the international superstar was in their presence, but she ignored all of that in favor of searching for Tim.

It seemed to happen in slow motion how he walked out of the showers with a towel wrapped around his waist, water droplets stippled across his broad chest as if he was a painting, his perfectly toned arms and abs sculpted like a statue. He looked good in that suit the night they met, but WOW Lucy thought he looked even better underneath.

"You're here," is what he said by way of greeting; Tim had been so surprised to see her in the stands throughout the game as if he had taken one too many knocks to the head during gameplay and was merely imagining her. Yet, there she stood looking positively beautiful, and he could not believe it.

"Wanted to see what all the fuss is about. You gave my music a chance, so it was only fair I watched a hockey game."

"You could've watched it at home."