Chapter 2: The Killer

"We're serious, Neuvillette!" Paimon exclaimed. "The evidence is crazy, but we found it!"

        Neuvillette flipped through the old file which sat on his desk as his eyes flicked to his visitors on the couch. Traveler, and Paimon.

        "This killer would have wanted to target some Melusines for a reason. Not only target, but..." his words trailed off into a shaky breath.

        "Neuvillette...." Paimon began sympathetically. "It wasn't your fault, yknow! There wasn't anything anyone could do about it..."

         "That Melusine was innocent."

          How ironic.

          He made a promise that history would not repeat itself. Like what happened to that Melusine case 500 years ago, where one of then ended up dead.

          One he considered...a friend.

          He clenched his fist temporarily on the paper before he let it go. "What I am curious about is their motive," he stated, closing the file.

          "What they are doing does not make sense to me. Cela n'a aucun sens..."

(Translation: it makes no sense)

           "Why not we review everything again?" Traveler suggested. "See if we missed anything."

           Neuvillette nodded. "Good idea." After all, he was personally investigating this case.

           Neuvillette brought the files over to the sofa so Traveler and Paimon could see easily.

         "Where's the journal..." Paimon muttered as she made Traveler turn around before ransacking their inventory.

         "Jeez, do you really need to many Chicken Mushroom Skewers...?"

          "Found it!" She said cheerfully, holding up a the same book they used to defend Lyney's case and charge Furina.

         "So...let's see!"

         Victim 1: A young woman was found dead near the outskirts of the city. At first they assumed she was attacked by monsters, until authorities discovered the damage inflicted was human.

Name of victim: Annalise
Age: 23
Family: One older brother, no parents or grandparents. Two aunts on Fathers side of family.
Parents deceased by chronic illness.
Grandparents deceased by natural means.

Died by a stab to the head.

Weapons nearby: None
Footsteps: None
Fingerprints: Fingerprints found on hair brooch.

Appearance:
Golden flower brooch in hair
Plain red dress with white sheer top
Sandle-like heels
Black eyes
Brunette
Fontaine citizen

         Victim 2: A middle-aged man was found dead in a bush behind the Opera Eplicipse. After a trial, a man by the name Jacob found the body after noticing scuff marks leading under the bush.

Died by a stab to the heart.

Weapons found nearby: None
Fingerprints: None
Footsteps: None

Name of Victim: Albert Cho
Age: 36
Family: No siblings, one mother, one father, no grandparents, one uncle on both sides of parents family.
Grandparents deceased by natural means.

Appearance:
Brown hair
Light trousers and shirt
Black shoes
Hair not grown that long
Grey eyes

Mondstat citizen

        Victim 3: A young child found dead by a tree outside the city. She was found lying under a tree under the appearance of sleeping. When she was checked on, they realised she wad dead.

Name of Victim: Lily
Age: 9
Family: None. She's an Orphan.

Weapons found nearby: An arrow on her back which pierced her right lung.
Fingerprints: None
Footprints: None

Appearance: light brown shirt and skirt, pink slippers, navy blue hair tie used to tie a ponytail, light grey eyes.

Citizenship: Not confirmed

        Victim 4: Victim was found murdered near the Melusine village, body laying nearby the entrance tunnel inside the water. Body was found when a blonde-haired diver discovered it.

         Name of victim: Anna (Melusine)

        Age: 100 plus

        Family: Unclear

         Weapons found neaby: None

        Fingerprints found nearby: None

         Footprints found leading to waterfalls inside Melusine village and disappearing.

        Appearance: Light, cream-colored fur with hints of blue along arms and legs- wore small dresses hand woven from fabrics.

       Paimon let put a regretful sigh as she closed the journal. "All those people...they were innocent..." she said softly, looking down at the ground. Neuvillette let his eyes hover on the file a moment longer.

         The murderer could have gone inside the Melusine village.

         Hence why he had decided to hand them to the Duke's care.

         Wriothesely offered as soon as he heard.

         The Melusines would stay in his care in the safety of the Fortress.

        However, he had been wanred that so much as any of them get a scratch or a burise, Neuvillette would personally come and have a chat with him.

        While the Gardes conducted searches on the village, Navia and the Spina Di Rosula have also been a great help.

         Locating the family of the victims and explaining what happened- as well as gathering information.

         Traveler and Paimon went too, of course.

          Neuvillette closed his eyes for a second as the soft patter of raindrops could be heard outside the window.

          Paimon knew what it meant, and hummed in distress, putting her hands on her hips. "Hydro dragon hydro dragon, don't cry..."

         "I do not cry, my mind just gets a bit...overwhelmed," he was quick to correct her.

          "ANYWAYS, paimon is also sad that Anna passed. But we'll get to the bottom of this! Right Traveler?"

           Traveler let out a sound of agreement.

          "Great! Now, let's combine this journal with the clues in the file...."