Chapter 38: The Play

Start from the beginning

"Toxic people. You mean Mason and your friends?"

She nodded, then laughed. "Yeah! And I have to thank Brinson for that. But I also wanted to thank you. Penny told me that you said I would be perfect for Anne Dunnings."

"Penny told you that?" I asked, somewhat surprised.

She nodded, her eyes sparkling with appreciation. "Yes, she did. But don't be mad at her. She thinks highly of you, and I do too."

Megan really caught me off guard, and as our conversation rolled on, it hit me that a lot had gone down over break without my even knowing. It turned out that Penny and Megan had become really close. They'd bonded so tightly that Penny ended up sharing what I'd confided in her about the bet.

"So, yeah. Anyway, the bet is off. Thank you again, Wendy. See ya!"

I just nodded, still processing it all. Megan headed off, and I caught sight of Brinson doing vocal warm-ups in the corner. Adam was pacing as he mumbled his lines under his breath. The props team was double-checking that everything was in place.

My stomach flipped for another whole reason, thinking of everything that could go wrong. Forgotten lines, mistimed lighting cues, and wardrobe malfunctions. I took a deep breath, trying to steady my nerves.

This was it—my work was about to be judged by the entire school.

Ms. Dartwood finally arrived backstage and launched into a last-minute pep talk. I only half-listened, my nerves jangling. Then, I crept to the edge of the curtain and peeked out. The auditorium was slowly filling with people taking their seats, murmuring with anticipation.

There was no sign of Mr. Scott. Was he not coming after all?

I jumped as Penny suddenly appeared behind me. "He's coming late," she said, making me yelp.

"Geez, Penny!" I gasped, clutching my chest. My heart hammered from the scare. "Don't sneak up on me like that!"

Penny just laughed. "Sorry, I couldn't resist."

I shot her an irritated look, still rattled. "What are you talking about anyway?"

"I heard Ms. Dartwood telling Principal Peels he'll be late, but he'll definitely be here."

"Oh." I tried to seem casual, like I hadn't been looking for him at all. "Hey, I just talked with Megan. I can't believe you've actually told her—wait, did you tell her everything?"

"Chill. Okay. I didn't tell her everything we've talked about since middle school, only the things that concern her."

"Still."

"Wendy, relax. Okay? Megan is a really cool person. She's even grateful, you know? And she thinks you're awesome." Penny smirked before sauntering off.

Shaking my head, I took a deep breath, smoothing my shaking hands over my pants.

With the anticipation building up, I made a conscious decision to set aside any qualms that I had. As I had been working tirelessly towards this moment, I was determined to not let anything get in my way. I knew that I needed to stay focused and not allow any unnecessary distractions to detract me from enjoying the play.

Just a little longer until showtime. My next peek through the curtains revealed a nearly full house. It was really happening now.

After the final backstage checks, it was time. Showtime.

Soon, places were called. I hurried around to the auditorium entrance to join my family before the lights went down. As I rushed by, I nearly collided with Adam heading backstage in full costume.

I stopped short, stunned. He looked incredible in a navy frock coat with velvet lapels, a waistcoat, and a crisp white shirt. The costume team had outdone themselves. Gone was the boy who favored grunge and sad songs; this Adam looked like a dashing leading man.

"Hey, good luck," I managed, still taking it in.

He gave me a smile that made my heart flutter. For a moment, it seemed he wanted to say more, but Melissa's voice rang out, summoning the cast.

"Break a leg," I said with an encouraging wave before slipping out to the seats.

I found my family and squeezed in just as the lights dimmed. They had saved me a seat. A hush fell over the crowd. This was it.

The curtain rose. I held my breath, gripping the program tightly. Adam stepped into the spotlight, looking like he'd just walked out of a Jane Austen novel. He glanced at the audience before launching into his opening lines. I exhaled, melting into my seat.

It was really happening.

I had never felt so excited and terrified at the same time. This was my first time publicly sharing my creative work. Would they love it? Hate it? Make fun of it?

Here we go.

The curtain rose on Act 1, revealing Megan and Adam as Anne and Edmund. My heart raced as they delivered their opening lines flawlessly. I gently clapped my hands when they made their exit.

So far, so good!

Then Act 2 began, and Brinson took the stage. Just like at his audition, he embodied the role like he was born to play it. I was enthralled, hanging on to his every word and gesture.

In the climatic confrontation scene, Brinson and Adam faced off with electrifying intensity.

"You presume to question my honor?" Brinson thundered, advancing at Adam.

Adam's eyes flashed with defiance. "I set my eyes upon her before you even had the chance to draw breath in her very presence!"

The audience gasped as Brinson swung at Edmund. Adam reeled back dramatically, earning approving murmurs. They were nailing it!

By the end of the final act, I was beaming with pride. Megan continued to impress me with her emotional range. And the chemistry between all the actors leaped off the stage.

When the cast reunited for the curtain call, I was wiping away tears. Not from the story; I knew it by heart. I was moved because the cast had embraced my characters and truly made them their own. They took everything I had written and transformed it into something powerful and real. It was everything I'd dreamed of.

Mom and Dad exploded into applause, cheering louder than anyone as the curtain fell. I checked out their faces—Mom's eyes were totally misty. No way, I thought. Did the story make her that emotional? No. I'm sure it was Megan. She was born to act.

I glanced around at the other people. They were chatting and gushing over the show. Yes! I could tell they were glad they came and didn't feel like they wasted their time.

As the lights came on, I stood up on shaky legs, suddenly feeling like I was going to pee my pants. My heart was pounding from the combo of nerves, excitement, and pride.

"I gotta hit the bathroom quick, talk to the cast, and then I'll come find you," I told Mom and Dad.

Mom nodded, grinning hugely.

"Take your time!" Dad said. "Adam rocked it up there! He's a total natural talent!" He looked mega proud.

I gave them a thumbs-up and rushed off to find the nearest bathroom.

I slipped backstage to the performers' bathroom, carefully avoiding the crowd near the front entrance. A few prop assistants chatted excitedly, rehashing favorite moments from the show. I threw out a couple of "great jobs" as I breezed past into the bathroom.

As I reached for the handle, raucous laughter burst from the cramped prop room next door. The door hung slightly ajar, just enough for me to glimpse two figures kissing.

I froze.

Penny and Melissa?