Jessica

"Look don't get me wrong, I just know that these bruises you have are more than what you're going on about" he said looking at me with serious eyes "I have a little sister your age who I would kill for, just don't want to see you go through something like this, for some odd reason I feel the need to protect you." He said lowering his head slightly. Well, I completely thought wrong. I thought maybe he wanted me to go because he wanted to see me, he wants me to go because he thinks he need to protect me like I'm his little sister. He sees me as a child to him...for some reason this left a growing hole in my chest, but I was quickly yanked out of my feelings and thoughts as a low dark admittedly sexy voice of a woman reached the table.

"Xzia what are you doing here?" The woman said while looking at me and then him with a confused look. I lowered myself in the seat. She was beautiful her hair long and shiny, jawline shaped so beautifully cut. Even her eye shape was amazing those low dark hazel almond eyes. Her slim waist, stylist clothes clear skin...she was everything I was insecure of. "Simply having something to eat, how may I help you, Jessica." He asked voice laced with a hint of surprise and annoyance. "Mm nothing just missed you and seen your car, any who we have dinner with my parents in a few did you forget?" Jessica said with a pout. The hole in my heart seemed to have been getting bigger listening to this conversation.

I got up not wanting to hear anymore and packed up my belongings and grabbed my bag. "Here you go Ms. Jessica you can get comfortable and talk to him now, sorry I was interrupting your conversation he was helping me with my class report on his business." I said bowing my head and walking away. Before grabbing my apron off the wall to clock in I heard a very satisfied. "Hmph" leaving out of Jessica's mouth. After clocking in I went between the double doors towards the caffe kitchen.

Breathing in deeply like I was in desperate need of the air around I gently rubbed my face. Deciding not to overthink the situation I began working. About five hours had passed and was time to clean the caffe and get ready to close for the night. I looked at the clock on the wall reading 10:50pm. "I'm heading out Zari, you got it or do you need any help?" A coworker asked genuinely seeming not to mind what the answer would be. "Ah, no thanks angel I got it thanks for the offer though" I spoke back gently appreciative of her offer. As she left, I began cleaning the kitchen and washing off the utensils.

While up front cleaning I noticed something shiny on the table me and Xzia sat at . Setting down the rag and spray I went to the table to pick up the shiny object. It was a business card... a very shiny metal business card...with what seems to be a note taped on the back. "Hey kid, sorry things got cut short text me to let me know you received this" I read out loud as if I was talking to someone else. I quickly slipped the card into my back pocket of my jeans as I looked at the time now reading 11:34. My curfew was coming up I needed to be home soon. I quickly finished cleaning and locking up the shop. Running home was my best option giving the fact I don't have a car...or let alone know how to drive.

I was breathing wildly while letting out a few coughs and tears as I put the key in the lock to unlock the front door. Stepping in I see him...I'm home I say lowly shutting the door behind me locking it. "Barely made it" is all he managed to say before taking a swig of his beer.
"I'm sorry I had to close up today cleaning took longer than I thought" I said trying to justify it. He just looked at me before just giving a simple head nod. "Go to your room I'm not in the mood to talk right now" he said slurring a few of his words.

Deciding not wanting to upset him I walked up the stairs to my room closing the door gently behind me. Throwing my bag on the chair by my desk I decided taking a shower and sleeping would be the best thing to do. Grabbing my phone out my back pocket something else slipped out hitting the ground making a rattle noise as it collided with the floor. Bending down to pick it up I quickly I remembered the card. Typing the number in my phone I spent like 15 minutes debating whether 12:30 was to Late of a time to send a message let alone, would that even be appropriate? I questioned myself.

After debating is sent a text.

Xzia✈️
Hey, idk if your sleep or not but I got the card...😅
12:31 am
Actually, I'm up. Happy you texted but why are you still up? You have school😠
12:32 am
I just got home from work, I'm not a child you know. 🙄😒
12:32 am
Did you just roll your eyes?🤨
12:33 am
Actually Yea, I did and what about it old man😌.
12:33 am
-2 minutes pass bye-

Mm maybe he didn't like being called old...did I take it too far I asked myself getting ready to apologize. "Incoming FaceTime call from Xzia✈️" the animated smart bot known as Siri said. I quickly answered ready to apologize. "I'm sorry for calling you old I was just joking "I blurted out rather fastly. I was quickly confused as he started laughing. "If I was to get offended by that, wouldn't I be childish?" he asked laughing. I just looked at him in a loss for words. "Are you coming on the trip tomorrow" he asked hoping my answer had changed. " Well, I suppose one trip wouldn't hurt" I said smiling like an idiot fan girl.
Then suddenly my smile dropped. Xzia must've picked up on the change in my facial expression. "Are you ok?" He asked sounding worried.

"Zari! Get the fuck down here!" My drunken stepdad called. I looked back at the phone. Xzia expression was terrifying he looked pissed. "Zari!!!" My stepdad yelled coming up the stairs. "Lock the door and hide Zari I'll be there in 15 minutes get somewhere safe!" I heard Xzia yell before hanging up. My body reacted before my mind could moving towards the door to lock it as Xzia asked. Upon locking the door, I felt my heart drop as I heard his fist thump against the door creating a loud rattle that caused my body to shake against the door.

For the first time I thanked god he was drunk. He didn't have that much strength. As I made my way to my walk-in closet to shut the door and hide behind the clothes, I heard the door break. My heart dropped causing me to start hyperventilating. Beads of sweat formed as I heard him call out to me in a slur. "Zari you little bitch where are you"? he asked sounding angrier with each minute that passes bye. Suddenly the door to my closet swings open, causing me to throw my hand over my mouth to stop me from breathing to loud. 

To late my brain screamed at me as I was yanked from behind the clothes. He started throwing me around screaming things at me such as "you little whore you thought you was slick, coming in here almost pass your curfew" He spoke to me making sure the spit flew from his mouth with every word. The tears flowing from my eyed stinging almost burning my cheek as they fell down my face. "You're a good for nothing weak little bitch I see why you were put into the foster system, don't you think you'd still be there if not for me and this how you pay me back?" My stepdad spoken to me in a way that actually broke me. He walked closer to me causing me to scoot back into the wall trying to slow down my breathing. I heard my phone ring the stupid ass smart bot announced who it was from. Xzia was calling.

This pissed my stepdad off completely as he yanked the phone off the floor to answer it. I begged him not to I cried and pleaded to him not to, which was a big mistake. "oh, so this is the reason you were almost late? Your spreading your legs for other people now Zari?" John stated. I clenched my hands closed tight turning my knuckles white from the pressure. "John I'm not... " was all I could say before he answered the call and put it on speaker.

"Zari I'm coming I promise!!"