C64: Center of Attention

Start from the beginning

Zhang Jian had to admit that there was something special to that child of the Wang Clan.

Zhang Jian was unable to tell what it was, but every time he saw Wang Chong, he was unable to treat him as a kid.

“Actually, it’s not difficult to confirm this.”

The clan head shifted his sight to the piece of ore on the table:

“Don’t we have a piece here? Even though it isn’t enough to forge a sword, it should be more than enough for a dagger. By then, we’ll know the answer when we try it out for ourselves.”

Everyone nodded in agreement.

Honestly speaking, using this limited amount of ore to forge a small dagger and bring out the full potential of the ore wasn’t a walk in the park.

In fact, no other clan was capable of such a feat

However, the Zhang Clan was different. As the previous leader of the swordsmithing industry, the clan possessed technologies that far surpassed others.“

“Grand Elder, I’ll be passing this to you then. Before daybreak, I want to see a complete dagger.”

The clan head said.

“Un!”

Agreeing to the request, the Grand Elder took the piece of Hyderabad ore from the table and walked back to his residence as if this was an insignificant matter.

The forge operated throughout the night until dawn. In the span of a night, a dagger of around four cun long and a pinky finger thick appeared before everyone on the stone table.

However, upon looking at the dagger, Zhang Jian, Zhang Cong, and all of the other Zhang Clan members who had witnessed the Wootz steel sword for themselves were shocked.

“Grand Elder, are you sure that this weapon is forged using the Hyderabad ore?”

Zhang Jian stared at the dark dagger on the table suspiciously.

They had seen Wang Chong’s Wootz steel sword, and clearly remembered the enchanting patterns which resembled flowing water on the blade. This was something unique to it, something that couldn’t be seen on any other swords.

But the dagger which the Grand Elder forged didn’t have such patterns at all.

“Un, I don’t know whether the Hyderabad ore you speak of refers to the same one I am thinking of, but I have forged this dagger using the material provided by the clan. It’s a weapon forged to the greatest extent of my abilities.”

“I have used all of the smithing techniques of the clan that can be used on this dagger.”

The Grand Elder sounded fatigued, and it seemed like he had devoted the entire night into forging the dagger.

Zhang Cong and Zhang Jian glanced one one another, unable to say a single word.

This was completely different from the sword which Wang Chong had displayed. It was impossible to tell that they were made from the same material.

“There’s no need to argue over this matter. I have no doubts about the Grand Elder’s smithing skills.”

The clan head stepped forward, grabbed the dagger, and commanded:

“Fetch a sword.”

Soon, a clan member brought a sword which was on the same level as the sword the one they sent to the Bluebottle Pavilion for the sword duel gamble.

Klang!

As the two weapons crossed one another, an ear-piercing shrill sounded in the air. The dagger cut deep into the sword but the sword didn’t split in two.