Failed Dinner

Mulai dari awal

Derek, unconvinced, scoffed at her explanation. "Sounds like judgment to me."

Mary sighed, trying to clarify her point. "I think you're doing a great job as Chief. But some things are beyond your control. Like today, I had to treat a group of teenagers who ingested Tide Pods. It's not your fault the ER was busy."

But Derek, caught up in his own frustrations, retorted, "So, you're saying it's your fault then?"

Mary's expression shifted to one of hurt. "Derek, you need to cool down. This isn't about assigning blame."

Meredith and Lexie, uncomfortable with the escalating argument, quietly excused themselves, leaving Mark to mediate the situation.

Mark, who had been like a brother to both Derek and Mary, turned to Derek with a stern expression. "Derek, you're being unreasonable. You can't talk to Mary like that. She's your sister and a fellow doctor."

Mary, feeling overwhelmed, stood up. "I'm going to my room," she announced, her voice carrying a note of resignation.

Derek, still fueled by his emotions, shouted after her, "Stop walking away in the middle of a conversation!"

Mark placed a hand on Derek's shoulder, trying to calm him. "Derek, let her go. You both need some space to cool off."

But Derek brushed off Mark's attempt at peacemaking, his gaze fixed on the retreating figure of his sister. The air in the room was heavy with unspoken words and unresolved tensions, a testament to the complexities of familial relationships strained under the pressures of life at Seattle Grace Hospital.

In the stillness that followed Mary's departure, Derek and Mark remained seated at the table, the remnants of their dinner untouched. The tension in the air was palpable.

Mark broke the silence, his voice measured but firm. "Derek, you're overwhelmed, I get it. But you can't take it out on Mary."

Derek ran a hand through his hair, a gesture of frustration and exhaustion. "I know, I know... It's just... everything's piling up."

"It's okay to feel overwhelmed, Derek," Mark said, his tone softening. "But you can't lash out like that, especially not at Mary."

Derek sighed, leaning back in his chair. "I wouldn't have talked to you that way, Mark."

"Exactly," Mark agreed. "And that's because I'm just your brother. To Mary, you're more than that. You're her guardian, her brother, her boss. She respects you more than a typical sister would. That's a lot of roles to juggle, Derek."

Derek nodded, the weight of Mark's words sinking in. "I guess I never really thought about it that way."

"You can't abuse that respect, Derek," Mark continued. "She's eighteen years younger than you. If you had spoken to me like that, I would've dragged you to the study and forced you into an adult conversation."

Derek chuckled weakly, the irony of the situation not lost on him. "You're right. I should go talk to her."

With a determined nod, Derek stood up and made his way upstairs to Mary's room. He hesitated at her door, taking a deep breath before knocking softly.

"Mary? It's Derek. Can I come in?"

There was a brief pause before her voice came, quieter than usual. "Yes, you can come in."

Derek opened the door to find Mary sitting on her bed, her demeanor calm but distant. He took a seat beside her, careful to maintain a respectful distance.

"I'm sorry, Mary," he began, his voice tinged with genuine remorse. "I was out of line at dinner. You didn't deserve that."

Mary looked at him, her expression softening slightly. "I know you're under a lot of pressure, Derek. But it felt like you didn't respect me."

Derek nodded, acknowledging her feelings. "You're right. I've been so caught up in my own stress that I failed to see how it's affecting everyone else, especially you."

"I understand that you're my guardian and my boss," Mary said, her voice steady. "But I need to be treated like an adult, especially in front of others. It's hard enough being the youngest resident without feeling belittled at home."

"You're absolutely right," Derek agreed. "You're an incredible surgeon, Mary. Your age doesn't change that. I shouldn't have used it against you."

Mary's posture relaxed a bit. "Thank you, Derek. That means a lot to me."

Derek took a deep breath, the tension between them slowly dissipating. "I promise to do better. I respect you, not just as my sister but as a colleague. And I'll make sure everyone else sees that too."

Mary nodded, a small smile gracing her features. "I appreciate that, Der. And if you ever need to talk or vent about work, I'm here. We're a family, after all."

Derek returned her smile, feeling a sense of relief wash over him. "I'll keep that in mind. Thank you, Mary."

As Derek stood to leave, Mary spoke up again. "Derek?"

He turned back to her. "Yes?"

"I'm proud of you, you know. Despite everything, you're doing a great job as Chief."

Derek's smile widened, touched by her words. "Thanks, Mary. That means a lot coming from you."

With a newfound understanding and respect, Derek left Mary's room, feeling a weight lifted off his shoulders. The challenges at Seattle Grace would continue, but with the support of his family, he knew he could face them head-on.