THᗴ ᖴIᖇS丅

Start from the beginning

Carefully, I reached up to the shelf, wrapping my hands around the toy, I simply moved it down to a shelf I knew the boy could reach before walking away.

The second I resumed my original stance, leaning against a pillar, he ran over and took the toy from its place.

I looked back down at the screen just in time to see it reach zero and be replaced by another picture.

⁺˚*•✩•*˚⁺‧⁺˚*•═┈∘*◦○◦*∘┈═•*˚⁺‧⁺˚*•✩•*˚⁺

[𝙶𝙰𝙼𝙴]
𝙳𝚒𝚏𝚏𝚒𝚌𝚞𝚕𝚝𝚢

8 of Spades:

Game: Fire Drill

Rules:

Players have 60 minutes to reach the roof of the hospital.

Win conditions:

Activate the sprinklers.

⁺˚*•✩•*˚⁺‧⁺˚*•═┈∘*◦○◦*∘┈═•*˚⁺‧⁺˚*•✩•*˚⁺

"Well, isn't that vague," the lipstick girl spoke, "It's a Spades game, so there's no point in us working against each other for now."

'Eight of spades? ...like the card? What does that even mean?'

I got a feeling that the others had been here much longer than me.

Everyone seemed to quiet down, as did I. Wondering when the game would start, maybe it already had.

The girl with the sunglasses looked back down at her phone screen. Before silently walking off, the clicking of her heels breaking the silence.

I looked back down at my phone as well, the same rules still presenting themselves on my screen, but there was now a sixty-minute timer underneath. The funny thing was, it hadn't started.

"Sprinklers on the roof," I mumbled to myself. The game was called fire exit, so maybe it was a race. It hadn't stated how many winners there could be.

Slowly, I walked towards the fire exit door. It should have stairs from the ground floor to the roof. I tried to push down the handle as it clicked in place but didn't budge, I heard a hiss. It was almost like a hole in a tyre.

The sunglasses girl walked closer to the normal stairs as a sense of foreboding settled in my gut.

"Wait! Don't!" I tried to shout, but it was too late. She opened the door as I ran, pushing her, both of us falling to the floor as it blew open and scorching flames burst into the room.

Within seconds, the fire had started spreading across the walls, the stairs a tapestry of flames.

One of the other players rushed to the fire exit door, attempting to push it open again, but once again, it didn't budge.

The second of the businessmen grabbed the fire extinguisher beside the door. He turned to the fire, blasting it as a white fog spread through the room.

I coughed and pulled my shirt up over my mouth. The mix of that and the smoke from the fire easily made us all lightheaded.

Opening my teary eyes, the fog had spread, thinning out. Yet, the fire hadn't halted, seemingly unaffected as it continued to spread forward.

Realising it was fruitless, I grabbed it from his hands, smashing the extinguisher into the glass panel on the door, successfully breaking through.

I reached my arm through the hole, trying to reach down to open it from the other side, the raw shards cutting my upper arm in the process.

I felt the handle and pushed down, sweat rolling down my forehead as the heat of the fire licked at the air.

Finally, I was able to find the handle twisting it open as the door pushed in. It had only been a minute or so, yet the fire had practically reached them.

"Everyone through here!" I shouted, holding the door open, the adrenaline numbing my wound. I couldn't think. I didn't have time to think.

Everyone rushed through into the stairwell, and I pushed the door closed behind us as the whole lobby was engulfed in a sea of flames.

"Fire doesn't spread that fast. That's not normal!" I shouted, holding the door closed as the flames licked through the broken window.

"It's the borderlands. Nothing is normal." The girl with the lipstick replied nonchalantly, removing her sunglasses and placing them in the chest pocket of her shirt, which was tied up around her middle exposing her stomach.

The Borderlands? What the hell are the borderlands?

⁺˚*•✩•*˚⁺‧⁺˚*•═┈∘*◦○◦*∘┈═•*˚⁺‧⁺˚*•✩•*˚⁺

~ 1276 Words.