015 - birthday

I woke up on September twenty seventh, nineteen seventy nine with four girls grinning down at me.

"Ah!"  I screamed, rolling to get away, falling onto the hard stone floor.

"Happy birthday!"  My roommates yelled, laughing at me as I struggled to untangle myself from my sheets. 

"You nearly gave me a heart attack!"  I accused as I scrambled to my feet.  "Seriously!"

"Come on!  The boys are waiting for us!"  They pulled me out into the hallway, still clothed in my pajamas.

"Happy birthday!"  The group shouted at me for the second time in less than a minute.

"Thanks guys."  I smiled tentatively, overwhelmed and underdressed.

"Nice jammies."  Henry teased, nodding to the matching cami and shorts I was wearing.  I awkwardly covered my chest, hoping no one could see that I wasn't wearing a bra.

"Thanks, Henry."  I grumbled, as I got pulled into a hug by Eddie.

"Now your all grown up like me!"  Eddie put his chin on the top of my head.

"Legally responsible for everything I do.  Yay!"  I replied sarcastically.

"Aww, don't be like that!"  He stepped back, letting Henry give me a hug.

"Sorry.  I just don't like being terrified the moment I wake up."  I glared at my roommates who snickered.

"Come on!  We have presents!"  Tia laughed, pulling to one of the couches to sit.

"You guys didn't have to!"  I protested as the first package was shoved into my arms.

"We know, now open!"  Jeni ordered.  Laura stood in the corner with a muggle camera, snapping photos as I ripped open the present.

I ended up with a small stack of gifts.  I got a framed photo of the group from Laura.  Henry gave me a lovely bag of Honeyduke's sweets, and Tia gave me a new set of quills.  Yasmin gifted me a very beautiful diary, and Eddie gave me a new Hufflepuff scarf.

"Mine is last, of course!"  Jeni sang, dropping the box into my lap. I carefully unwrapped it, peeking inside. A little owl necklace was nestled inside. It fluttered its wings, its gemstone eyes blinking at me. "I have a matching one!"

I took the pendent out of the box, and clasped it around my neck. The owl rested just below my collarbones.

"Thank you, Jeni." I smiled up at my best friend.

"It was partly selfish. I wanted one too." She showed me hers. While mine was gold with emerald eyes, her was silver with sapphire eyes.

"They're so cute!" I giggled, watching at the two owls fluttered their wings in unison.

"If you tug on it, they other one will flutter. Kind of like secret communication." Jeni grinned gleefully.

"Awe!"  I wrapped her in a hug.  "I love it."

"I'm glad.  Now let's go eat, I'm starving!"

"I am not going down dressed like this." I argued, making a beeline for my dorm.

"Aw, but you look so cute!" Eddie hollered after me. I give him my middle finger and keep walking.  I tossed on a clean uniform and pull my hair back into little buns.  Grabbing my bag on the way out, I returned to the common room.  Everyone but Jeni and Eddie had gone on ahead.

"So, I've been working on that thing you asked me to."  Jeni said, presumably being vague because of Eddie.

"Yeah?"  My stomach dropped, and I realize that I'm disappointed.  But this should be a good thing.  I needed to be reasonable.  Pining after Lupin was not reasonable.  Maybe if met someone new, I would like them instead?  It felt pretty unlikely though.