005 - lake

Morning came all too soon.  Getting to bed so far after curfew was already taking a toll on me.  Jeni had to push me out of bed and onto the cold stone floor to wake me up.

"Ow."  I moaned, face against the smooth floor.  "I'm awake.  Thanks Jeni."

"You're welcome.  You really need to stop those late night romantic strolls with Remus.  You're all grumpy in the morning now."  She quickly dodged out of the way of my hand, swiping at her ankle.

"I was studying.  We're friends.  Leave it alone."  I picked myself up, stumbling to my wardrobe for a clean uniform.

"Alright, alright.  You're just friends.  But seriously, you need to start getting to bed on time.  You won't be able to keep up this for much longer."  She tossed me my hair brush and I ran it through my brown waves.

"I know.  I'll try.  There's just so much to do!"  I pulled my hair back into a ponytail and grabbed my bookbag.  "Let's go eat.  I desperately need some coffee."

We traipsed downstairs, meeting up with Henry in the common room.

"Good to see that Jeni managed to wake you up."  He said as a way of greeting.

"Yeah.  Nearly strained my arm dragging her onto the floor."  Jeni rubbed her shoulder.

"I'm sorry my existence is such a burden."  I sassed, sticking my tongue out at her.

We ate our breakfast in the great hall.  I glanced up at the head table and was taken by surprise when I saw Remus seated next to Dumbledore.  They seemed to be deep in conversation, and Remus looked exhausted.  I hoped it wasn't because of me.  He must have sensed me staring, because he broke his gaze away from the headmaster's and locked eyes with me.

I gave him a small wave and a smile causing him to grin back.

"You seem to know Lupin pretty well."  Henry commented, noticing the interaction.

"A little.  He's been walking me back when I leave the library late.  That way I don't get in trouble."  I shoved a bite of eggs into my mouth.

"Are you ready for double potions once again?"  Tia takes the seat diagonal to me, plopping down beside Henry.

"No.  I did get my essay done at least.  I'm not sure it's very good though."  I patted my bag to make sure it was there.

"Maybe you should talk to Sprout.  She might have some resources to help you catch back up."  Tia suggested, and I bristled a bit.  I don't want everyone to think I'm dumb, especially my head of house.

"I'll be fine.  I just need to work harder."

We made it through potions class, with a functional, but not perfect potion.  Slughorn looked a bit disappointed in my work, but didn't comment.  I left the class feeling pretty discouraged.  I was trying so hard, but I couldn't figure it out.

I took extensive notes during transfiguration, but once again failed the bird assignment.  Only myself and one other student had yet to complete the task.  It didn't feel great.

At lunch, I didn't participate in the conversation, instead choosing to review my transfiguration notes to try and figure out what I was doing wrong.  Perhaps it was my wand grip?  Or maybe I wasn't flicking firmly enough?  I wasn't sure.

"Tessa!"  Lauren waved a hand in front of my face.  I tore my eyes away from my book to find everyone is staring at me.

"What?"  I asked, clueless.

"We've been trying to get your attention for the past minute."  Henry chuckled, getting nods from the rest of the group.

"Sorry.  I'm just trying to troubleshoot a bit."  I gestured to the cover of my book.