010 - detention

When you are anticipating something, time is cruel, dragging on slowly, making you live every one off those seconds twice as long.  But time is also cruel when you dread something, racing past like the world outside of a train window, barely giving you enough time to process your destination.

This was the second type.  The more I stressed about detention with Remus Lupin that evening, the faster the day flew by.  Dinner was so fast, I barely managed to eat anything.  The clock struck seven as I made my way into the library.  Remus was at his usual place at the front desk and gave me a half smile as I entered.

"Hey Tessa."  He greeted warmly which I returned with a cold stare.

"Lupin."  I clutched my books to my chest, frowning slightly.  He had the sense to realize I was upset at him.  He faulted over the desk in a very startling manor, causing me to stumble backwards.  I bumped into someone behind me, and my books fell to the floor with a thud.

"Are you okay?"  He asked, gracefully scooping them up.  I reached to take them back, but he refuses, insisting on carrying them for me.

"I can't believe you ratted me out to Sprout."  I hissed, falling into a chair at the table he'd selected for us.  I crossed my arms over my chest and glared as the boy sat next to me.  

"Ratted you out?"  Remus drops the books on the table, the weight of them causing the table to shake.  "I was trying to help you."

"I had it under control."  I snapped, snatching whatever book was on top and opening it to a random page.

"Clearly not."  He muttered, poking through my books to see what I had.

"What's that supposed to mean."  I snapped the book closed, turning on him.

"It's okay to ask for help."  His brown eyes peered into mine, frustrated that I was frustrated.

"I don't need help."  I said through gritted teeth.  "I can figure this out by myself."

"Surprised they let you into Hufflepuff those pride issues.  Sound more off a Slytherin to me."  He bit back, causing me to flinch.

"Well, I wasn't willing to murder my own family, so they wouldn't let me in."  I retorted angrily.  My frustrations morphing into full on fury.  Not wanting to put up with this insufferable boy, I stormed out of the library, completely abandoning all of my books and my bag.  

Once out into the corridor, I broke into a sprint, blindly running through the castle to find some solitude.  I'm not sure why my feet carried me there, but I found myself at the top of the astronomy tower when my feet finally stopped.  I made my way to the rail and gazed out over the trees.

With a pang in my chest, I realized Remus was right.  This was a wonderful place to watch the sunset.  Tears leaked from my eyes as I watched the evening sun turn the clouds a beautiful array or orange and cotton candy pink.  Below the clouds, the tall pines reminded me of Remus's favorite color as well.  

He just didn't understand.  None of them did.  But I felt like I needed to do this on my own.  I needed to be able to be a good witch.  A strong one.  Not one using tutors and staff as a crutch.  

Footsteps behind me caused me to spin around.  A familiar flop of soft brown hair appeared and I groaned.  He had followed me.  He approached me, leaning on the rail beside me.  

"Why can't you see that I just want to help?"  He asked softly, tilting his head to look at me.

"I don't want help."  I responded, my voice thick from tears.