Chapter 7

"Wait."

The voice comes from out of nowhere. I stop, but I'm the only one until Holden notices I'm not beside him.

"Iris?"

My index finger rests against my lips. Gran has turned around now, eyeing me expectantly.

"Talon?" My voice is barely a whisper. I recognized his voice as soon as he spoke. He has a bit of a southern drawl, as Gran does. I wonder if he's from Crimson Pass, too.

"I knew you'd hear me," Talon says. "Don't go in the front. They're expecting you. Come around the back. I'm guarding the door. It's the quickest way to Isaac."

"What is it?" Gran says in a muted tone.

"Talon wants us to come around the back."

"Then that's where we'll go."

My eyes find Holden's. A scowl twists his handsome face again. "Talon tells me it's the fastest way to Dad and Eddie."

Holden's cheeks redden. "Then what are we waiting for?"

The three of us change course and slip around the side of the house. We keep to the shadows until we reach the back door. It swings open as soon as I lay my hand on the doorknob. My body pitches forward, and strong arms pluck me out of the air. I look up. Talon's face is inches from mine. His icy blue eyes pierce mine, and his lips morph into a smirk.

"If you wanted me to hold you, Iris, all you had to do was ask," he teases. "You didn't have to jump in my arms." He releases me promptly and steps backward. "I would pull you close, but you'd have to take that off." His eyes fall to my chest.

"Not a chance," I say, slightly flustered.

"I'm glad you caught her," Holden declares, "but otherwise, keep your hands off."

Talon frowns. "Jealousy makes pretty boys ugly. Remember that."

"I'm not a pretty boy."

"I really don't care."

Gran rolls her eyes. "Can you boys fight later? Enough playing around. Where is he?"

Talon tilts his head to the right. "Down the stairs and to the left. But you'll have to get past me." He flashes his fangs, and I gasp at how sharp they look. Two knives are what his fangs remind me of, and I shiver. I don't want them anywhere near me. "And make it look genuine."

She grins. "Holden. I'll let you take care of him." Talon's smooth expression falters. "I know you'd love nothing more than to beat the hell out of him. Just don't kill him."

Holden breathes deeply. "I'll try." He turns to Talon and smirks. "I guess we're going to work this out here and now."

"Bring it on," Talon challenges. "But I made no promises to protect you."

"Don't kill him," I say quietly. "If you so much as bruise him, I'll-"

"Iris, we don't have time for this!"

Gran seizes my wrist and pulls me toward the stairs. The last thing I see before we get out of sight is Holden punching Talon right in the face. I smile, knowing how much satisfaction it'll give Holden to be the one to take him down.

"You don't have to worry about Holden," Gran states. "Talon won't hurt him. He likes to run his mouth."

"You have a mountain of faith in him," I say.

"He...saved my life once."

My mouth drops open. "When?"

"I'll tell you the story some other time. Let's keep the talking to a minimum until we're out of this mansion." She lets go of my wrist. "Be as quiet as possible."