Chapter 6

Gran fixes a feast that night. She tries (in her own way) to make up for the grief she caused us. After all, we can't fight vampires on an empty stomach.

Gran's words. No joke.

Soon after Holden and I stuff ourselves, we go with her to the back of the house and pack the things she says we'll need. She gives us camouflage backpacks that look like they've never been used. Camo makes me think of soldiers and war. For all we know, we might be entering a warzone.

"This is the most important item, Iris," she says as she hands it to me. It resembles a mini fence post, cylinder-shaped with a pointy end. I've seen enough vampire shows to know what it is.

"A stake?"

"Yes."

A laugh bursts out of me, and I roll my eyes. It relieves a little of the tension, at least. "This is ridiculous."

Gran chuckles. "Wait. It gets better. I'm glad you found humor in this." She hands me a vial of clear water. My eyebrows shoot up.

"What is that?"

"Holy water."

I grin and pass a vial and stake to Holden. He's silent as he takes his stake and stuffs it in his bag. He's angry at me. He hasn't said a word since Gran confessed. Holden expects me to say something to her. He hasn't said, but his actions speak volumes. I should say something, but despite everything that's happened-

Maybe my reluctance makes me naive or cowardly, but so be it.

I texted Mom and Ian to tell them everything, but I haven't told him. Unfortunately, none of the messages went through. The guy at the gas station was right. All of the phones are down. They must be out of their mind with worry if Mom has finished scolding Ian for leaving us by now.

"We don't know enough yet," Holden says quietly. "How are we supposed to fight something we know nothing about?"

The smile fades from Gran's face. "I'm sorry you got pulled into this, Holden. I thought Ian would come with you. We could have left you here in case Isaac and Eddie escaped. That was the original plan. I never imagined Ian would go back to Isobel. I should have guessed." She moves closer to him, and he freezes. "Please don't hate me."

He catches her eyes, and the corners of his mouth lift. "I don't. I'm just anxious."

"We all are," she admits. "Iris tries to act tough, but she's terrified, too."

I glare at her for exposing me, although Holden knows me well enough to have guessed. And I've already said it more than once. "I am." My stake doesn't go in my bag. Instead, I shove it into the inside pocket of my jacket. I want to be able to get to it as quickly as possible. "But being scared will keep me on my toes."

"I'm not a fighter," he says.

But he has always protected me.

"I'm not either. I have never been a fighter. I don't know what's going to happen to us. We may get murdered when we walk through the door."

"That's the scary part. Not knowing."

The brightest smile I can manage plasters itself on my lips. "I thought you were mad at me."

"No." Holden averts my eyes. "I was upset. I wondered why you kept that stuff from me. No secrets, remember?"

So, it had nothing to do with Gran at all. I hurt him.

"I didn't know what all of it meant. I didn't want to frighten you more," I pause, "or make you hate me."

His eyes bulge. "Hate you? Iris, you know I could never hate you. Even if this all goes horribly wrong and you become a vampire, I wouldn't hate you. I wouldn't treat you any differently."