Chapter 5

The tension between the three of us is palpable. My feet are throbbing, and Talon is nearly running. Holden and I can barely keep up with him, but we've made progress.

"Don't make me leave you behind," Talon calls over his shoulder. "Of course, I can carry you, Iris, if you like." A knowing smile settles on his lips, and he gazes at Holden.

If looks could kill, Talon would be dead. I've never seen such a hateful expression on Holden's face. I try to cool the flames he's ignited in my boyfriend.

"That's not going to happen. I'll walk."

Talon shrugs playfully. He's enjoying this. "Suit yourself."

"I have never wanted to rip somebody's head off as badly as I want to rip his right off his shoulders," Holden says. I haven't seen a look on his face this angry since Stew backed me up against the wall in the hallway at school during our sophomore year. "He's been making those types of remarks to you the whole time we've been walking."

"He's trying to get you to react," I state. "Don't let him get to you."

"He's hitting on you."

I arch an eyebrow. "I only have eyes for you, Holden. Let him say what he wants. He's not special to me. You are."

Holden visibly relaxes, but not before shooting one last glare at Talon's back. A dreamy grin parts my lips. Knowing he loves me enough to get jealous over good-natured ribbing makes me happy. It shouldn't, but it does. He possessively snakes his arm around my shoulders. It makes moving faster more difficult, but I let him reassure himself by holding tightly to me.

Suddenly the path becomes broader and opens up into a clearing. Talon stops to let us catch up, his eyes darting in every direction.

"Stay close to me," he instructs. "This is the most treacherous part of the journey. Keep your eyes open and stay together." The light teasing tone he'd been using thus far is gone.

My instincts tell me not to take my eyes off my surroundings. There's nothing in the clearing but grass. Trees are on all sides. Why would a clearing be in the middle of a forest like this?

My muscles coil tightly, and I remove myself from Holden's arms. I grab his hand instead, squeezing firmly. He nods, and I know he understands it's in case we have to run.

Talon's eyes shrink into slits. "Let's go."

He starts slowly across the clearing, turning his head in every direction. What is out here that has him so wound up? I don't think I want to know.

A low growl reaches my ears, and my head snaps in that direction. I don't see anything, but something is there. By the sound of it, I would guess a mountain lion or some other wildcat. Maybe that's why no little animals were running around in the woods. They were all eaten by whatever made that sound.

"Iris, what is it?" Holden whispers.

"I-I heard something. A growl," I stammer.

"I didn't hear anything."

"I heard it, too," Talon says. He crouches, poised for an attack I fear may come. "We don't have any more time. Run!"

"What about you?" I ask.

"It's sweet that you care, but I'd rather not have Isaac chop my head off when you die. Don't worry about me and run! Now!"

Holden and I take off, our hands still linked. A thousand images of my horrible bloody death and Holden's rush to the front of my mind, all after being ripped to shreds. We've run together before but never for our lives. I never thought I could run this fast. I peek over my shoulder at Talon, but the clearing is empty. He's gone. I don't know where we're supposed to run to anyway.