EIGHTEEN

tw: mentions of death, trauma, and anxiety

XVIII.
SOTC: last week - chloe lilac

- irl -

irl

    once monday comes around, there's a pit in ruby's stomach. she knows what she has to do, and it sucks.

she tries to stay laser focused on the job, but her mind keeps slipping as she watches him perform for the camera. it's exhausting, waiting for the inevitable.

they're finally done for the day, and she knows he's in the wardrobe trailer changing out of his costume. ruby stands outside by the walkway, trying to let the fresh air relax her.

it doesn't help, so she crosses her arms to at least keep her hands from shaking. cameron walks out a few minutes later, back in his regular clothes.

he looks pretty, still in hair and makeup, and she feels herself wilt.

"hey ruby." cam says as he approaches.

she can tell that he's a little bit confused, probably because she looks sick to her stomach. she can't blame him.

"hey. i wanted to talk to you, if you have a minute."

"yeah, what's up?"

"well, i want to start off by saying i really appreciate you. you've done such a great job and been a really big help. and you've been nothing but kind and sweet to me, and i—"

"ruby," cameron cuts her off, "i think i know what you're trying to say."

he doesn't sound mad. he doesn't even really look upset.

"really?" she asks, because she can't think of anything else to say to that.

"yeah. i could tell after our second date that you weren't really feeling it. and that's okay. i just wish you would've told me a little sooner." he admits with a shrug.

ruby nods. "i know, i should have, and im sorry that i'm coming to you now. but i really mean it, you're fantastic. it's just...it's a me issue."

cameron shrugs, and smiles just a little bit. "i can respect that. i do have a question though, out of curiosity."

"yeah?" she tries to say it with strength, but it comes out soft.

"does it have anything to do with your friend? matt?"

ruby was expecting it, but it still makes her stomach turn. it seems to be the only thing anyone is asking her nowadays.

"no. he's a just that; a friend. and i'd really like to stay cool with you, if you can forgive me for being a weenie." she attempts a small joke.

cameron laughs, looking down at his feet and shaking his head slightly.

"yeah, i think i can forgive you for being a weenie. but if it does end up being matt, he's a lucky guy. whoever it is, really" he compliments her, and she waves her hand at him to stop.

"your lady will be luckier, i promise."

"now, with that out of the way," cam starts walking toward the cars and she follows, "how are you feeling about everything lately? i know a lot of this script is personal to you, so i've been meaning to check in."