| 30. personal bodyguard

Start from the beginning

"Valentine was able to get into one of the most well-guarded Institutes in the world." She retorted. "What makes you think he won't be able to worm his way into this one too?" There was silence on the other side in response to her disheartening words.

"Because I will kill him before he gets the chance."

Asher's blood chilled at the response. She had only seen this side of Julian a handful of times, when his unwavering loyalty led him to more drastic measures. She knew he said that to make her feel safe, but nothing made her feel safe when Valentine was involved.

"I will visit when I can." Julian promised her. "Until then, stay put." The line clicked, indicating that he ended the call.

Asher dropped her arm. The phone in her hand clattered on the ground beside her. She wrapped both arms around her legs and squeezed them tightly against her chest.

The bustling life of the Shadowhunters within Institute seemed muffled, distant. It felt like she was adrift in a vast ocean, isolated from those merely a few rooms away.

Asher felt envious of them: how they don't have the weight of everyone's lives hanging on their shoulders. She always wondered why Raziel seemed to direct Clary to her that fateful night.

The daughter of Valentine.

Maybe it was an offering, or maybe it was a trial. To Asher, it felt like some kind of punishment to have her parent's killer hunting her down. She

Picking up the phone beside her, she pushed herself off the ground and took the last few steps to her door, making sure to lock it extra tight.

————————

In the serene environment of the empty studio, Asher immersed herself in her practice. The soft gray color of the wall mixed with the trickle of sunlight coming from one of windows provided a sense of comfort.

Asher extended her arms before folding to touch her mat. She stepped back into Downward Dog and pushed her hips upward for a bigger stretch. She focused on her breathing as she moved through the different poses, her only company being the soft music playing in the background and the occasional creak of the floor beneath.

Gracefully moving into a Warrior pose, Asher's gaze fixed on a point in the distance. Her limbs extended with purpose and each muscle was engaged with keeping her grounded. Sweat glistened along the curves of her body as the raised heat warmed her muscles and slowly chipped away at her current frustrations.

The gentle flow of Asher's movements continued, seamlessly transitioning from one pose to another. With each deliberate breath, she sought to clear her mind and anchor herself in the present moment. Any thoughts about Jace or Valentine were intentionally pushed away and compartmentalized into a little box.

The brunette placed her palms against the mat before lifting the lower half to her body to form a vertical line from the tips of her toes down to her splayed fingers. She held a momentary suspension in the air, core tight and face focused.

Asher slowly began the descent into the Handstand Scorpion pose, arching her back and bending her knees with a slow precision. Her body formed a striking silhouette as the elegant curve of her spine mirrored the subtle grace of a scorpion's tail.