However, his phone wouldn't stop ringing and eventually, he'd picked it up as soon as he stepped out of the bathroom after taking his bath deciding he might as well get it over with slightly irritated. Faysal can be a pest sometimes like he'd told him a million times whenever he gets caught up in an idea. He just doesn't know how to quit.

Who else would keep calling him endlessly despite his lack of response? Even his secretary know to only call him twice same as everyone else. The only people who calls him more than twice are his mother and Faysal. Thankfully, they don't talk much on the phone with his mother since he never lets a day end without going home to see her—yesterday was the first time he hadn't gone home or speak to her and that was because his father had declared him persona non grata and she wouldn't pick his call.

What could Faysal want? He wondered as he waited for the line to connect. "As-salamu alai—,"

"Zee-Zee collapsed this morning," Faysal had cut him off and dropped this bomb on him. He wasn't the kind to be subtle about anything.

Zainab. Collapsed. Why? "Why?"

"I don't know the details but she's in critical condition. I thought you should know." Faysal continued as if he hadn't just asked a question and then a click. The line has died. Faysal wasn't the kind to be subtle or linger either.

Zainab collapsed? How? Why? And why did Faysal sound as if it was somehow his fault? His brain went into overcharge as he hurriedly dressed in a black sweatpants and a white polo shirt clearly not in the mind space to do anything but grab the closest and easiest attire before he grabbed his car keys and fled his home in uncommon haste. He couldn't think straight as it was with anything that has to do with Zainab or her already frail health.

What happened? Why did she suddenly collapse? She had been fine when he spoke to her yesterday even though, like the rest of his family and possibly everyone who knew him, she had been pissed at his unexpected marriage, but unlike the rest of his family and possibly everyone who knew him, she had quickly come around. Her and Faysal both. They had gist for awhile like they always do; she talking and him listening, and had ended the call after she'd made some corny jokes about him being a married man.

Thinking back, there had been nothing in her words or actions which might have made sense of her relapse and try as he might, he couldn't think of any reason why she was in dire condition. She hasn't had any attack in years, so why now? What could possibly have her worrying that has her life in danger. It couldn't possibly be. . .

. . . him?

It couldn't be, can it? Zainab couldn't possibly be in that condition because of him, can she? Was it because of the marriage proposal? Was it because she didn't want to marry him too? They've never really talked about it but he knows she has feelings for someone. She told him. She just hadn't told him who it was.

Could that person be him? He shakes his head in disagreement deciding he was merely over thinking the whole thing. He couldn't be the person she had feelings for. She couldn't have. He shuddered as goosebumps crashes his body at the mere thought that she might have feelings for him, sending cold shivers to his very core.

Besides, she had been cool about his marriage. It was one of the reasons why he hadn't taken up his father's offer. She had told him, times without number, how she would never marry a man who has a wife. And besides, she's like a sister to him. He has never, not once, acted like she was more or could be anything more even if he might have treated her differently, specially. He has his reasons. She knows. Everyone does. Zainab is special to him because of her late mother. What kind of nightmare was this anyway?

His aunt, Zainab, was his favorite aunt. He had liked her best of the entire extended Makama family and had been sure to extend the same love and attention to the child she had desperately wanted but hadn't lived long enough to see.

Saddiq had once suspected his grandfather might have let him be all these years because of her—when she was born he was already fifteen, she's eighteen now, but he hadn't given it much thought because he hadn't given much thought to marriage. He'd supposed he would do it when the time was right but not any sooner and as to the bride, he figured time would take care of that too. But truth was, he couldn't be bothered.

And now, all of a sudden, she collapses? Why? Can it truly be a coincidence? Or does she have feelings for him? But after that episode eight years ago. . .

140. . .160. . .180. . .Saddiq drove fast and hard to the hospital knowing and not caring about the hundred traffic rules he had violated. He had only relaxed when the gates of Manaal Specialist Hospital came into view. It was undoubtedly a miracle that he'd made it there in one piece. Parking his car, he ran as fast as he can into the building only for him to get there and have his father's security personnel stationed at the door turn him away.

He had screamed, threatened and tried to force his way into the room but to no avail. At the end, he had been escorted out of the building and from that day, the security of the hospital had increased tenfold; he wasn't even allowed within ten feet of the gates. It doesn't stop him from going there everyday and creating a scene. He just wanted to see her to make sure she was doing okay but they won't let him see or hear of her—Faysal had suddenly gone AWOL; his phone was unreachable and he was nowhere to be found. It was deliberate, he know. It was obvious his father was punishing him. Or was it his grandfather? Saddiq wasn't sure he care anymore. He was in hell and he was tired of falling.

And just like that, Aisha waltzes back into his world acting as if she hadn't been the match which had damned him to hell and he'd lost his shit. What did she say?

"Hi! Husband!"

She had disappeared a week ago and 'Hi! Husband!' was all she had spared him before she had walked past him in the living room, heading to the bedroom as if she bloody owned the place. His anger was as instantaneous as it was venomous. He couldn't believe her. His life had gone haywire. Zainab is sick. His entire family is boycotting him. And for what? Her? And what—

'Hi! Husband!'

And before he could stop himself, he'd grabbed her wrist and pinned her to the wall fuming.

"WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN IN THE LAST WEEK?"