Chapter 4

"Why are you facetiming me?"

"Hello, Pedri. How are you? Did you have a good flight? How's the weather like in San Sebastián?"

"Hi, sorry. But why are you facetiming me?" I ask again.

"I was bored" he shrugs. "Where are you?"

"About to commit murder" I sigh.

"What?" he laughs.

"I need a dress for an engagement party next week and I can't find anything. Why did they have to make it a themed party?"

"What's the theme?"

"Night at the opera" I say, rolling my eyes. "That's where they kissed for the first time and they want to recreate it."

"Oh, so you have to look fancy."

"Yes" I sigh again. "And I can't find anything because it's early for the Christmas clothes, and too late for all the wedding ones you get during the summer."

"I see..."

"Don't laugh at me, Pedri."

"I'm not laughing!"

"But you are smiling, and that smile leads to a laugh."

"Ok, ok. I'm serious" he says, making a weird face.

"What is that?" I laugh.

"I don't know. But I made you laugh, so" he smiles.

"Yeah, cool" I reply, trying to look serious despite wanting to also smile like an idiot. Have I said yet that he is really cute? "I should probably continue with my search. There is a Zara I haven't checked yet, though they'll probably have nothing either."

"Can I suggest something?" Pedri asks.

"Sure."

"When I've had a big event where I've had to wear a suit, I've always rented it. So maybe you could rent a dress too? I could make some phone calls and see if that's a possibility."

"Wait, really? Would you do that for me?"

"Of course I would, Val" he smiles.

"I... I... Thank, you Pedri" I say, my cheeks getting warmer by the second.

"My pleasure" he says, his smile growing wider and making me smile too. "I'll call you later and let you know, ok?"

"Ok. And thank you. Again."

"You're welcome, Val."

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"This is so fancy!" Silvia says. "I can't believe they even gave us champagne."

"Perks of coming with one of their best clients" Pedri says.

"Val, are you done? What is taking you so long?"

"I'm being careful, I don't want to ruin the dress. It's fucking Valentino, you know?" I say from inside the changing room.

"Oh, I know. I picked that dress for you" Silvia chuckles.

"Ok, I think I'm ready" I say.

"Then let us see!" she insists.

"Isn't this too much for a stupid engagement party?" I ask as I leave the changing room.

"Holy shit, Val!"

"Is that good or bad?"

"Good! Really good! You look amazing! Doesn't she, Pedri?"

"She... she..." he mumbles, his eyes fixed on me, slowly scanning my body.

"I think you broke him" Silvia laughs.

"Yeah... Umm... I still think it is too much. I can't wear this to the party" I say, looking at myself in the mirror.

"You can and you will, Val. Look at Pedri, he hasn't been able to close his mouth yet" she laughs again. "When Marc sees you he may want you back."

"Wait, what?" Pedri says, finally reacting. "Who is this Marc?"

"The groom" I say, not daring to look him in the eyes.

"And why would he want you back?"

"Because we used to date" I say, my voice almost a whisper.

"Used to? What does that mean?" he asks.

"We... He..."

"I think I'm gonna need another drink" Silvia says.

"Why? What is happening?"

"You tell him, Valeria" she says, crossing her arms over her chest while holding her glass of champagne.

"Marc was my boyfriend for like... ten years?"

"Almost twelve" Silvia corrects me.

"What?" Pedri says, raising his voice. "And you didn't think it was worth mentioning it?"

"I don't know" I shrug.

"I don't know?" he snorts. "When did you break up?"

"A couple of years ago."

"And why didn't you tell me?"

"I forgot" I whisper again, my eyes fixed on the hem of my dress.

"You forgot?" he laughs. "How do you forget to tell me that you are attending your ex boyfriend's engagement party? We've been talking about it for a week, Val!"

"It happens" I shrug.

"Is that why you hate the bride so much? Because you still have feelings for him and seeing him getting married hurts?" Pedri asks.

"What? No!" I say, finally looking at him. "I was the one who broke up with him, he is in the past."

"Doesn't look like it."

"He is" I insist.

"Is he?" Pedri asks Silvia. "You are her best friend, you should know. Is that Marc in the past or not?"

"He is in the past!" I repeat. "He is, Pedri. I swear."

"I gotta go" he says, suddenly getting up from his seat.

"What?"

"I just remembered I have some things to do."

"Things? What things?" I ask.

"Just things, ok?" he says, the anger in his voice catching me by surprise. "Choose whichever dress you like, they know what to do."

"But..."

"Goodbye, Val. Silvia."

"Pedri, wait" I say, trying to stop him as he leaves. "I can explain!"

"I think it's too late for that, Val. Too late" Silvia sighs, pouring herself another glass of champagne.