Chapter 16 - Sunset

That night, they ended up sleeping on one bed once again. They weren't even drunk this time, Alhaitham just invited himself into Kavehs room, making an excuse for himself.

"I bet you would overthink all night if you were left alone and I don't want to deal with your sleep deprived self tomorrow"
"Oh, shut up," Kaveh mumbled but still moved on the bed to make a space for his roommate.

They were lying there in silence, both of them equally worried they might ruin that peaceful moment. They can talk about everything the next day, there's no need to hurry things up, right?

Alhaitham glanced at the ceiling, admiring colourful and shiny stars Kaveh must've painted earlier this week, he swore they weren't there last time he paid his roommate a visit.
Lost in the thought, he was startled for a moment when he suddenly felt something warm embracing one of his palms. Kaveh giggled as he gently held Alhaithams hand, looking right into the others teal eyes. Alhaitham haven't seen so much joy in his eyes for so so long. It brought him back to their Akademiya days, those months before they fell apart. It sometimes haunted him in his dreams, at least until they met again. Those dreams were partially reason he was so sure he wanted to help his ex-friend. He had that feeling he still owes him something a single apology couldn't be. Those dreams never returned after Kaveh officially moved in. Only now he realised for how long he had been thinking about his dearest friend.
He laid awake, wondering if it was fate or just Lesser Lord messing with his dreams on purpose. Either way, he was glad. He was glad he's not alone anymore.

~•~

It was seven in the morning and even though it was Sunday, Alhaitham was ready to start his day. Well, if it wasn't for Kaveh sleeping on his left arm, sabotaging the blood circulation in the said area. Alhaitham sighed, wondering what should he do. Should he wait and risk that his arm will go completely numb or face angry sleepy Kaveh who just got his weekend beauty sleep ruined?

He decided to not move an inch.

Luckily for him Kaveh moved himself few minutes later, sitting up on the bed and rubbing his eyes to wake himself up a little bit.

"Oh gosh, I totally forgot you were here too," he said to himself as soon as they made an eye contact.

Alhaitham wanted to say something but before he even managed to open his mouth Kaveh already escaped to their shared bathroom. So the other just sighed, going back to his own room to change as well.

~•~

As usual Kaveh was nowhere to be found. Alhaitham still couldn't believe he actually thinks he can avoid all of his problems by very randomly disappearing to the most obvious places, like the tavern.

The Acting Grand sage decided to wait for him in the kitchen, getting comfy on one of the chairs and starting a new book.

The book was already finished but there still were no signs of Kaveh. He should really do something about his drinking problems, Alhaitham thought to himself, not for the first time. He too enjoyed good wine, he wouldn't try to deny that, but he rarely drank his feelings away, he just enjoyed the bitter but still sweet taste of fermented fruits.

Thinking about that, he put on his boots and walked out to drag Kaveh home from the tavern, because he was getting slightly impatient. They still needed to talk and Kaveh should be better sobered up by the time the sun disappears behind the horizon.
As he walked inside the tavern he realised he was wrong. Kaveh was nowhere to be found and Lambad confirmed that he didn't enter nor leave the tavern today. So Alhaitham at least bought that one specific strawberry wine, taking a blueberry wine this time as well, because he felt like it'll be needed later.

After several hours looking through all of Sumeru City Alhaitham was giving up. He run into Tighnari earlier and asked him if Kaveh possibly visited him and Cyno today but he found out he did not.

He needed to seriously think now. There was no better place to do so than a hidden spot with a bench on top of the Sanctuary. He used to sit there all the time back when he was a student. Nobody knew about it back then so it was a perfect spot for introverted person like him. He would study there before exams and sometimes he brought his lunch up there. That's why he brought a bench up there.
As he reached the spot from which he had to climb up to get to the place he realised he was still holding those two bottles of wine. He hoped nobody saw him, he must look like an alcoholic right now. After he looked around to make sure nobody else was around he started climbing up carefully

As he got on the top he glanced right to the wooden bench and realised somebody was already sitting there. He wanted to turn and go away when he noticed that iconic feather in that person's lovely blonde hair. He let out a quiet sigh of relief and headed straight to the bench. Kaveh was sitting with his back turned on him, probably admiring a beautiful sunset scenery.

Alhaitham placed the bottles on a little table next to the bench. That finally caught Kavehs attention.

"Of all places in Sumeru, you're here?," Alhaitham spoke softly which visibly surprised Kaveh.
"I could ask you the exact same thing you know."
"I used to sit there all the time back then, it's not so surprising for me to visit this spot."
"I know. I mean I saw you there. Oh my god, I must sound like a stalker now! I'm not, I mean- I used to spend a lot of my time here as well."

"But I never saw you," Alhaitham replied, clearly sceptic about it.
"Let me show you something," Kaveh spoke suddenly and grabbed the others hand, dragging him up the nearest branch of the grand Sumeru tree.

"I used this as my practice spot, you can see so many buildings from here so why not to take advantage of it, right? And it's the absolutely best spot in Sumeru when it comes to watching sunsets~," Kaveh smiled as he sat down, still not letting go of Alhaithams hand, causing him to have no choice but to sit down as well. Kaveh watched the horizon with dreamy eyes, he was definitely lost in thought again. Pretty. Alhaitham cleared his throat, slipping out of the others grip since he felt his hand was getting all sweaty.

"So, because we finally found each other," he glanced at the other, raising his eyebrows, "we should probably talk about..."
"Us?," Kaveh sighed.
"Why do I think you're feeling down?"
"Because I am," Kaveh raised his voice, apologising for it a moment later.
"Why?," Alhaitham gazed at him, trying to find some clue in his expression.
"Did you say you feel the same because you felt pity? Because you didn't want to hurt my feelings?"

Alhaitham breathed in slowly and broke their eye contact, exhaling as slowly so Kaveh could possibly realise he said an absolutely stupid thing. But he didn't.

"Would I kiss you if I didn't feel the same? No. There's no need to overthink that. You're kind, mostly honest and maybe an attractive guy too, so trust me when I say I like you."

Kaveh blushed hardly at that response, it definitely caught him off guard. He turned his head to not face the other.
"Go fuck yourself with all those lies."

"I'm being completely honest with most people no matter what so why would I make an exception when it comes to you?," Alhaitham stated.

"Also, _ _____ _______ ___ _______ __ _______," he then added, whispering.

"HOLY FUCK, ALHAITHAM, DON'T SUDDENLY ACT SO OUT OF CHARACTER, IF YOU DON'T STOP I'LL PUSH MYSELF OUT OF THIS TREE, I SWEAR," Kaveh shouted in reply, standing up, still a blushing mess.

"We should head back, don't you think?," Alhaitham said as if nothing happened.

"Wanna open one of that wines? You know, as an apology for almost... turning me on," Kaveh glanced away once they stepped on the solid ground.

"What?"

____________________
(Check the image at the start of the chapter to get better idea what secret spot I meant)

We all somehow know what Alhaitham said (he meant it as a joke but the chapter after next chapter won't be 👀)

I don't want you to be overexcited but if I find enough motivation the chapter will have some ✨spice✨ in it.

Anyway stay safe pookies, I love y'all 😘