The Burgundy Rose.

Trigger warning: this chapter may contain scenes that can be disturbing to certain audiences, including violence and blood. Proceed at your own risk.

While going about your daily tasks of tending to Leonide and assisting Horatio, you found a tightness growing within your throat and an excessive amount of sweat on your brow. The work you were doing wasn't exactly physically challenging, so a response like this from your body could only mean you were starting to come down with something. Pondering about your symptoms, you fail to notice Leonide's keen, crystal-blue eyes staring in your direction.

As you prepare tea by his desk once again, Horatio is hunched over by the prince, organising every paper that was signed and processed. Before long, the observant Horatio takes note of Leonide's distracted behaviour. Clearing his throat, he slams the stack of papers in his hands down on the desk, causing both you and Leonide to jump.

Horatio gives a small smile on his coral lips, slightly bowing his head as he speaks: "My apologies, the papers slipped from my hand. Good thing we'll be finished soon if his highness can stay on track."

"You speak as though I've ever finished my work late," Leonide grumbles, rolling his eyes slightly, with a slight blush on his cheeks as he realises that he had been staring at you without realising it. "We're on track to finish early as usual. On another note, are you feeling alright, [Name]? You seem quite exhausted," Leonide asks, a hint of concern in his tone.

"I'm alright, just maybe coming down with something," You reply.

"You should take tomorrow off and rest," Leonide states simply, not even bothering to meet eyes with you as he speaks. You noticed this was a habit of his - whenever he would show the slightest amount of care for you, he would get timid and avoid your gaze.

"I don't think that's a good idea, we're supposed to practise for the ceremony tomorrow. I'm sure I can hold on another day," You insist. With the ceremony drawing closer, you didn't want to get in the way and delay things any further.

"Get some rest tomorrow or I'll make it so my first dance is with you," Leonide boldly dares you, knowing you would want to avoid a scandal involving yourself.

Horatio nearly choked on his breath as he interjected: "Don't be ridiculous, she doesn't want to dance with you. Stop playing your tricks and get back to work."

Thankful to Horatio for stopping Leonide's antics, you look up at the royal advisor and shoot him a kind smile in thanks. Horatio just politely nodded in return, as Leonide finished up the last few papers in front of him, his dark locks framing his handsome features which were now focused on his work.

Horatio checks his taupe leather watch, and sighs, "It's getting late, I must go and do my rounds around the maids' quarters to ensure everyone is alright. I'll be back soon," He explains before using his gloved hands to neaten his tie and collar.

"Alright, see you soon," You reply as Horatio takes his leave. Leonide continued to work in silence, and the air in the study began to feel a bit more awkward without more understanding of the two being present.

After a few minutes of being accompanied by only the ticking of the clock on the wall, Leonide stacks the papers, completing his work. Before he can continue, you reach into the pocket of your uniform and take out a letter, sealed neatly with an emerald insignia and ribbon. Without much thought, you place it on Leonide's desk, catching his attention.

"What's this? A little gift for me?" Leonide asks, a smirk forming on the corner of his lips. You couldn't help but focus on remaining as still and emotionless as possible, focusing on your revenge. The letter had been given to you by the Duchess, and all she asked this time was for you to deliver it to the prince, and the rest of her plan would run its course, besides one more thing you needed to do.