28 | SHES NOT COMING

She parked the car by Evie's house, where Brook was staying. I don't know why but this woman scares me a bit. Something about her was weird.

I've never been here before, We walked the little path in her yard, the door was open. Tracy didn't talked to me. And that fine, I knew she's going to ignore me. As if I did something unforgivable.

"Brooke!" My mom looked surprised, maybe because she don't answer her phone. Avoiding from take responsibility for Evie.
She sat on the sofa with some guy, I looked at Evie to see by her face if that's her boyfriend, it wasn't him. "Wow." Mom added, as she should.
She just disappeared on her for almost a month.

"Is that Mason? Handsome." She got up and stroked my face gently, she kissed my cheek and I smiled. It always happening and every time I'm not sure what to do. There was something weird about her head. She was wearing a flat hat, it wasn't hot outside, and she were in. Why would she wear a hat? She sat down again,

"I've been calling for two weeks." Mom said and looked around, a lot of empty beers bottles, drugs, it doesn't look like she's been away.
"Sorry, sorry." She muttered to that guy. He got up and left the house, she apologised again.

"I didn't want you to see me like this." She choked from tears, she covered her face.
"Mel, my ears." That was beneath a whisper.
"What?" I looked at the girls, Evie was scared.

"They cut off my ears." She faced us and took off her hat. After what she revealed, I was sure I'm gonna throw up all over the place. Damn, I wasn't expecting that. That looked hideous. My whole body was trembled. Mom turned her head fast to us, she didn't want us to see that.

"Please go out to the car. Okay? Please."
"Please, go out to the car." She repeated her words. We were so shocked we didn't heard her for the first time. We got out, but not far away. We stand outside of the opened door.

I had that little kind of turkey neck thing, you know? I mean, all of a sudden I had a kid to support. I mean, fuck.״ Brooke started to explain,
"Yo-you had plastic surgery?" Mom stuttered,

"Why, Brooke. You were so pretty." Tracy said with sadness. We leaned on the lintel, and I knows we shouldn't do it. Seeing something like that can be hard, even for us that saw everything.

"Evie knows what I'm talking about. You that little kind of flap thing that was in the pictures?"
"Oh! My ears hurt so bad." She raised her voice in pain. She put a little hank of hair behind the ear, I couldn't look at her. My head automatically turned around, I didn't understand how the girls can look at that. Mom even got closer.

"Is this like, a standard procedure?"
"Yeah, I guess." Mom nodded in understanding.
"You know, they had to tuck the skin somewhere, you know." Brooke told. Mom lit up a cigarette,

"It's just, I didn't realise they'd have to do the whole, you know. Fucking crop circle."

"So everything is okay then?" The smoke flew away from her mouth. She hoped Brooke is going to say everything is okay. Even after this injury.

They held their hands together after she said everything is good, and apologised again. She checked her look in the mirror, for a second I thought it was worse then the ear pain.

"Can I get you a beer?" She walked to the kitchen,
"No, it's okay. We're gonna split." She finished with the cigarette. Tracy got in, Evie after her.
By mom's face, I knew what she decided.
"So, Evie." She got up slowly and took her bag.

"We'll bring your suitcase over later, okay?" From that sentence something broke between them.
Evie stood there, not sure if angry or confused,
"So you're not gonna to adopt me, Mel?"
Tracy stared at the floor, I was sure she's gonna resist. But she didn't, she just played along.