10. Three years later

In the circular office, the strange gadgets clinked softly, while the phoenix preened its feathers. In the fireplace, the remains of a letter that no one else was supposed to read were extinguished, but the photograph that accompanied it had not been destroyed. In fact, the old headmaster still held it between his fingers, contemplating it in the light of the evening rays that filtered through the window.

He could see a young couple and a little girl. The man had short, brown hair and a prominent nose. The woman next to him was smiling dazzlingly, brushing her blonde hair out of her face. The girl, on the other hand, sported striking gray eyes, which contrasted with her shiny black hair. In the background he could see the sea, but there was no sign indicating where the image had been taken.

Dumbledore sighed. Three years was a long time, especially for exiles trying to lead a normal life. Or at least, all the normal that could be desired.

The man in the photo frowned in a very characteristic way as the girl thrashed around, trying to escape from his arms. The headmaster smiled; there were things that could not be changed, no matter how much they were disguised.

However, he had to put the photograph away in a hurry when a green flash illuminated the fireplace. Auror Kingsley Shacklebolt peeked through it. His expression betrayed his anxiety and nervousness.

"They have been found, Dumbledore," he reported. "They will be taken directly to the room."

"At last!" exclaimed the headmaster, standing up energetically.

He followed the other through the chimney, and they both reached the Ministry of Magic. There were no journalists crouching by the fireplaces yet, but they would soon appear. At the moment, the one who seemed to be waiting for him, and very nervous, was the Minister of Magic.

"Dumbledore, it was just as you said," he informed him, although his displeased appearance indicated that he didn't even believe what he was saying.

"Take me to them, I want to see them," Dumbledore had neither the time nor the desire to boast, what he wanted was for everything to end as soon as possible.

He followed the Minister and Shacklebolt to the elevators, and with them descended to the floor where the trials were held. The importance of the event was such that the judges were being summoned in a hurry, and they were arriving at a rush through the corridors.

For weeks they had known that they would be called at any moment for this. Dumbledore took his place in the stands, determined not to miss anything.

"Severus, I wish you could see this," he thought.

There were five death eaters chained in the room. They were the last of the gang that the aurors had been searching for for almost three years.

Almost no one had believed Dumbledore when he had said that there were still active death eaters, but those aurors close to the Order began to investigate. A few months later, seeing the results, the Minister himself decreed that it was an absolute priority for all members of the auror office to dedicate themselves to the matter, day and night.

What Dumbledore had described as "a small group" ended up being a dangerous gang, made up of fifteen former death eaters. They had organized themselves as a military group, and were recruiting followers.

After the first interrogations it was discovered that they intended to take revenge. They were dedicated to hunting down renegade death eaters and harassing them. They also counted Ministry workers among their victims, and it was discovered that many of the unsolved disappearances that had occurred in recent years were due to them.

The Minister authorized any type of force against them. Veritasenum was administered to make them confess, and thanks to this, they found the others.

These five were the last remaining of such a dangerous group, and this trial would be the last to be held before they were sent to Azkaban.